Instructions: Following the Learning Model
- Prepare: Spend at least 15-30 minutes studying the information listed below.
- Teach One Another: Spend 5-10 minutes teaching the associated principle to an individual or group.
- Ponder and Prove: Reflect on each principle, make plans, and set goals to improve.
- Disciple: A person who both follows and learns
- Preparation: The word “preparation” implies the process of making or getting ready for any action or purpose.
- SMART(Acronym): Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-bound
- Center: The word “
center” connotes a point from which things originate or emanate. (Oxford English Dictionary)
- What were your feelings when you got accepted to BYU-Idaho?
- What were your feelings when you first stepped on campus?
- What was your impression when your first class started with a prayer?
- What comes to your mind when you think of BYU-Idaho?
- What comes to your mind when you think of the MTC?
- How does the word disciple describe you at this present time?
- How far are you in becoming a true disciple? What steps are you taking every day to become a true disciple?
- How often do you measure your spiritual goals?
- Why do you think President Bednar said that BYU-Idaho is a Disciple Preparation Center?
- How are you preparing yourself spiritually, professionally, personally, and academically?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What do you want to achieve most in life?
- What comes to your mind when you hear the word ‘center’?
“A goal properly set is halfway reached.” - Abraham Lincoln
“You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” - Aristotle
"This is a special university- there’s not another one like it. The people you meet and the spirit you feel
"A disciple of Christ of Christ is one who is following and learning to be like Christ--learning to think, to feel, and to act as He does. He or she is striving to gain the mind of Christ, becoming a true disciple of the Savior and following his ways are the most demanding learning objectives we can ever strive to achieve."- Pres. Bednar
"You and I have access to unparalleled spiritual resources that can assist us in developing and deepening our devotion as disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ." - Pres. Bednar
"The seeds we are planting today will grow and become mighty oaks, and their branches will run all over the earth." - Principal Jacob Spori
Source: BYU–Idaho Devotional Address, President David A. Bednar, 31 August 2004