Student counseling with a career counselor in a comfortable office.

New Hire

Upon being hired as a student employee, you must complete the new hire onboarding process for international students before your first day of training and/or work.

Students are NOT authorized to work until the following onboarding process has been completed.

Step 1

The following must be completed before coming into the Human Resources Office:

  1. Review the Student Employment Policies for International Students
  2. Print out and complete the Student Employment Agreement Form
  3. View the International Student Employment Checklist for an overview of the processes to be completed.

International students must have the required documentation as listed below:

  • Passport
  • I-20
  • I-94
  • Other acceptable documentation: Permanent Residency Card, Employment Authorization Card, and F-1 Student Visa Receipt (For individuals who have a temporary non-immigrant visa who have changed their visa status while residing in the US). Download a complete list of acceptable identification.
  1. Please bring appropriate documentation into the Human Resources Office in 226 Kimball where a Student Employment Representative will assist with the completion of the onboarding (hiring) process outlined below:

Step 2

Once proper identification has been shown to a Student Employee Representative, the creation of a Workday account will be authorized. A Student Employment Representative will assist you in entering and completing the following in Workday:

  • Contact Information
  • Personal Information
  • Form I-9 Sections 1 & 2
  • Withholding Elections (W-4)
  • Payment Elections (Direct Deposit) - Account and Routing Numbers are necessary to complete this step.
  1. At the direction of a Student Employment Representative, complete all action items in your Workday inbox
  2. If not already completed, complete the Student Agreement Form
  3. Receive a completed Employment Verification Letter for a Social Security Card application from a Student Employment Representative

Step 3

Before you can begin employment, you must also complete the following processes:

The following must be completed upon submission of the steps above:

Step 4

Use the Social Security Card button information:

Social Security Card

As an international student working on campus, a Social Security Number is required for employment and payroll purposes. In order to receive a Social Security Number please take the following documents to the Social Security Administration in Idaho Falls:

  • Completed Social Security Card Application
  • Employment Verification signed by a Student Employment Representative and an International Student Advisor in 276 MC
  • Passport
  • I-20
  • I-94

For any questions concerning the above documents, please contact the Student Employment Team at (208) 496-1712 or

Social Security Administration


2196 Channing Way, Idaho Falls, ID 83404




Mon: 9:00 AM-4:00 PM; Tues: 9:00AM-4:00PM; Wed: 9:00AM-12:00PM
Thurs: 9:00AM-4:00PM; Fri: 9:00AM-4:00PM; Sat & Sun: CLOSED


Learn more about International Students and Social Security Numbers.