Revised:    January 21, 2014



The University Travel Card gives the cardholder a personal credit card that can be used for authorized university travel expenses.

All full-time and part-time (non-student) employees who travel at least once a year are eligible to apply for a card. If a card is issued, the cardholder is responsible for the following:

o  Security and proper use of the card

o  Reviewing the monthly statements for accuracy- including while away from the university for extended periods of time

Paying off the balance in full each month

When a cardholder terminates employment, retires or has a change in responsibilities where travel is no longer required, his/her card will be cancelled. The Human Resources Office is responsible for notifying Financial Services of all terminations, retirements and other position changes in a timely manner.


1.    Application forms for a new Travel Card are obtained from the Accounting Specialist in 130 Kimball (extension 1991). Each form must be signed by the applicant and the Director of Financial Services or his/her designee.

2.   Cards will be issued with a $10,000 monthly limit. Exceptions to this limit may be granted on a permanent or temporary basis as needed.

3.   When the card is received by Financial Services from the issuer, the card applicant will be notified that it can be picked up from the Accounting Specialist in 130 Kimball. 

4.   Once the employee has received his/her card, it should be used in place of other payment methods for authorized travel expenses.

5.   The card should not be used to make personal purchases.

6.   The employee is the only one authorized to use the card. Purchases should not be made by anyone else.

7.    Each cardholder should obtain a receipt or other documentation for each charge to be compared to the monthly statement when received and to be used for reimbursement requests when reconciling the travel.

8.  Travel expenses for a trip should be included on the Travel Authorization (TA) which is submitted to the Accounting Office for reimbursement. This reimbursement should be applied by the employee towards the balance on the card.

9. The balance due on the University Travel Card is paid each month by the employee rather than the university.

10.  Any late fees or expenses are the responsibility of the individual cardholder.

11. If a charge on the monthly statement is disputed by the cardholder (either a wrong amount or unknown charge), the cardholder is responsible to resolve this dispute as he/she would with any dispute on his/her own personal account.

o If the amount is wrong, the cardholder should call the vendor and ask for clarification or a correction of the error. 

o If there is an unknown charge, the phone number on the statement or the back of the card should be called and any instructions received should be followed.

12. If the card is lost or stolen, the cardholder should immediately call 1-888-449-2273 (inside the U.S./Canada) or 1-509-353-6656 (outside the U.S.). The Accounting Specialist (at extension 1991) should also be notified as soon as possible.




Go Back