In accordance with IRS publication 463, sufficient evidence must be provided to prove the expense and support that the business meal was required to conduct university business.
- Complete the Business Meals Documentation form provided by the university or provide required information below on reimbursement request/purchase card purpose description.
- Provide an itemized receipt showing date, place, and amount of expense.
- If twelve or fewer provide first and last name of individuals attending the business meal.
- If thirteen or more, a group name may be used if it is descriptive enough to sufficiently identify the group.
- A description of the business purpose and/or topics discussed.
- Names of non-university hosted guests and their business relationship.
- When personal funds including a university provided travel and entertainment card are used, the above documentation must be attached to a check request or to a travel authorization.
- When using a purchase card or group travel card, the above documentation should be attached to the reconciled statement.
- When a campus meal card or other internal campus method of payment is used to purchase a meal from a campus food services area the above documentation and form should be kept on file in the department buying the meal for five years.
This page contains PDF documents. Download a free PDF reader from Adobe.