Field Services FAQ

What is the Field Services Office?

The Field Services Office is part of the Teacher Preparation Department.  It creates, supports, and administers field placements associated with students in all education programs: secondary education (SECED), elementary education (ELED), special education (SPED), and early childhood education/early childhood special education blended (ECSE). Field experiences include practicums and student teaching. Field Services also works with the Academic Advising Centers and Teacher Education Department for career placements, surveys, assessments, and accreditation.

How do I get started on my Student Teaching Preparation Process?

Go to the Field Services home page and click on the icon labeled Student Teaching Preparation Process. Follow the directions on this page.

How soon can I start the Preparation Process?

It is never too early to start the Preparation Process. Students are encouraged to complete the process before the Preparation Process due date to allow time for any necessary corrections.

What are the available student teaching semesters?

Student teaching is available all semesters (Fall, Winter, and Spring). During spring semesters there will only be placements available for ELED, ECSE, and SPED (K-12) majors. Secondary candidates need to plan to student teach Fall or Winter semester.

How do I complete a Grad Plan?

Log on to MyBYUI. Click on the Student tab, Degree Information, and the Graduation Planner. Follow the directions to complete and submit your Grad Plan. The approval process may take up to two weeks.

What do I do when my Grad Plan has been approved?

Email the Field Services Office ( to notify them of the approval. Include the Target student teaching semester on your Grad Plan in the email.

Where can I get my fingerprinting done?

BYU-Idaho Field Services office (HIN 325).

What do I need to bring when coming to get my finger prints done?

Some form of valid government-issued picture ID (example: driver's license or passport). 

How soon can I get them done?

Fingerprinting can be done anytime within our office hours (M-F, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, closed Tuesday and Thursday 11:30 AM-12:00 PM for Forum and Devotional) The process will take about 20 minutes. No appointment necessary.

Do I need to be fingerprinted more than once if I have been placed in a different state?

Students who will complete their student teaching outside of the state of Idaho will need to be fingerprinted again for the state in which they will be student teaching. Field Services can fingerprint students placed to student teach in Utah and Arizona. Those students teaching in Nevada will need to be fingerprinted in Nevada. If you are placed in Las Vegas, you will need to plan to arrive there and get settled at least one week prior to your start date to have time to complete your background check. Pay attention to all fingerprinting deadlines to ensure your background check will be complete in time for student teaching. You will not be allowed to enter your placement until you have been cleared by the designated state.

Where do I go to ask about practicums?

Contact Sister Reed in Hinckley 353.

What test do I sign up for?

Required PRAXIS exams can change without notice. You will be able to find the most accurate information at You can also contact your program director for specific test questions.

When should I take the Praxis?

Take the Praxis early enough so that there is time to retake it if needed. Foreign language students need to check extra early because of limited seating and limited testing dates. Please check to see when your results are due to ensure that you are set to student teach (typically, the due date for these exams is mid-term prior to your student teaching semester). Remember you cannot student teach without passing all your Praxis exams. Be aware, it takes 4-6 weeks to the Field Services Office to receive scores.

When and where are the Interviews?

For Fall placement, you will interview in March. For Winter placement, interviews will be in September. Spring placements are limited to ELED, ECSE and SPED candidates only, due to the fact that most schools are not in session during the summer months. Interviews for Spring will be in January.

What do I need to bring when I interview?

Bring multiple copies of your cover letter and resume. You may wear your practicum nametag if you still have it.

Can ECSE Students sign up for Elementary interview times?

No. ECSE students cannot sign up for elementary school interview time slots.

How do I request a specific placement?

If you MUST stay in a particular area, you will need to visit with one of the Directors of Field Services to obtain clearance to interview with that particular area only.

How long until I know the school where I am placed?

You will be informed via email of your placement if you have completed all requirements (the area and district, and in most cases, the specific school) within the week following the interviews. It may take some time for your Area Coordinator to contact you with the specifics as to mentor and grade, so please be patient and understand that we are at the mercy of the administrators to obtain this information.

How soon will I know who my mentor teacher is?

Keep in mind that your administrator may not have the specifics made until just a few weeks before you begin your student teaching experience. Your Area Coordinator will get this information out to you as soon as it is available.

How do I know where I am going to live?

Candidates are responsible for securing their own housing during student teaching. Single students Student Teaching in Idaho will need to live in approved BYU-Idaho housing. Area Coordinators can give guidance and answer questions, but they are not responsible for finding a place for candidates to live.

How long is the student teaching experience?

Student teaching is a 14 week experience that aligns with the University calendar. Teacher candidates are expected to participate in teacher inservice trainings and workdays, as well as parent teacher conferences as outlined by individual districts.

What is the Teacher Placement File?

This is a file with letters of recommendation from university supervisors and mentor teacher(s). This also includes summative evaluation(s) and Professional Learning Plan from student teaching. Most employers require this file when considering a new hire for their school district.

How do I get my Teacher Placement File?

Email the Field Services office: Please include your name, student teaching semester, I-number, and email address that you would like the file sent to.

Why should I certify in the State of Idaho?

Reciprocal agreements between most states augment the process of obtaining licensure from other states if licensed in Idaho. Your active certification in Idaho gives our office the ability to process recommendation requests from most, if not all other states. Upon completion of student teaching and graduation, it is imperative you complete the certification process through the state of Idaho. You will have a 2 year window to apply for licensure. To avoid the possibility of additional coursework and exams, we strongly encourage candidates to not delay in requesting your Institutional Recommendation from our office so that you can be certified. If you wait beyond that 2 year time frame, you will be required to meet any new requirements that may have changed, before BYU-Idaho can issue the recommendation.

If I don't plan on teaching in Idaho, what does my alternate state require?

The graduate is responsible to personally research alternate states' requirements and application procedures.

When can I apply for my Idaho teaching certificate?

After the posting of your BYU-Idaho degree, which is usually two to three weeks following graduation.

What is the process of submitting the B-2 form?

The institutional Recommendation is a form received from BYU-Idaho that verifies the graduate has met all requirements from the State of Idaho and BYU-Idaho.  It includes the following information: Personal identifiable information (name, address, social security #, etc.), Educational information (endorsement and student teaching information) Testing information (Praxis results, etc.), and Completion of program verification.
This form may be obtained by submitting a request from the Field Services web site:  Click on "Institutional Recommendation (B-2)" to request your recommendation after graduation.  Please do not bring in a copy of the B-2 form for our office to fill out; we will not accept it.  Your degree must be posted before requesting the institutional recommendation form.  You will receive two copies of the completed B-2 form: one is for your personal record, and one to be sent to the State of Idaho.

How do I send a form to get certified for a different state?

Students are responsible to research the requirements for the state they wish to be certified in.  If your state requires a different form that needs to be filled out by BYU-Idaho's education certification officer, Sister Frongner, please email it to

What are Partner School Interviews?

Representatives from BYU-Idaho's partner school areas come to the BYU-Idaho campus to interview students before their student teaching. These interviews will determine your student teaching placement. 

What is the Meet and Greet, and why do I need to go?

The Meet and Greet is different from the interviews because it is a time when you (the student) will have the opportunity to get to know the principals and schools, instead of the principals getting to know you. You should dress professionally. Please do not bring your resume to Meet and Greet. The Meet & Greet is optional, though highly encouraged.

What if I am off-campus during the Partner School Interviews?

If students are off-campus during the interviews, they are highly encouraged to come to BYU-Idaho if at all possible. Some circumstances make coming to campus impossible. If that is your case, please contact Field Services for another option. It is in your best interest to be here on campus for a live interview.

What are BYU-Idaho's partner school areas?

BYU-Idaho has five partner school areas: Weber (Ogden area), Salt Lake (Joradan area), Local (Bonneville, Madison, Jefferson), Las Vegas, and Mesa. 

Will there be group interviews?

Most likely. Because of the high number of students interviewing, group interviews are created to accommodate the high number of students.

What are the proper channels a student needs to go through to student teach in their off track?

They need to work with Field services office for teaching off track and work with Financial aid office if they need funding. They do not need to get an override through Admissions.