Exams & PRAXIS Requirements
All education students are required to take PRAXIS, Literacy and TCA exams.
Contact Content Area Program with questions or concerns.
Exams & PRAXIS Process
1. Research Praxis Exams
- Students are responsible to research, understand, and register for their own PRAXIS exams.
- By policy, Field Services cannot tell students which exams to take.
- Be aware that PRAXIS requirements may change at any time. Make sure you are taking the correct and most current test.
- Research State PRAXIS Requirements, other additional PRAXIS information or contact your Program Director for help.
2. Schedule Praxis Exams
- Research State PRAXIS Registration Information.
- Find test dates and test centers for State PRAXIS Exams.
3. Take & Pass Praxis Exams
- PRAXIS Exams are taken in person at a registered testing center.
- Most Universities have PRAXIS test dates throughout the year.
- Be aware there are limited dates of PRAXIS Testing at BYU-Idaho's testing center.
- All PRAXIS Exams and BYU-Idaho exams must be taken and passed as a prerequisite to Student Teaching.
- PRAXIS Exams must be taken and passed by mid-term prior to your target Student Teaching semester.
- PRAXIS scores are emailed to candidates.
- As a recommendation, save your PRAXIS results as soon as you are given your scores. There is a significant fee to access your PRAXIS scores after a year.
4. Literacy Exam Requirements
Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Assessment is required for all education majors. ELED, ECSE and SPED candidates have been required to pass this assessment for some time. The State has now completed the equivalent exam for secondary education majors. Candidates must pass this (these) exam(s) before being allowed to student teach. The exams will be able to be completed through the BYU-Idaho testing center as part of ED 441 or ED 461.
Secondary candidates are encouraged to take Ed 461, two semesters before student teaching so that if they do not pass the exam as part of their Ed 461 class, they will have time to retake the exam before student teaching deadlines.
Elementary, ECSE & SPED K-12 candidates are encouraged to take Ed 441, two semesters before student teaching so that if they do not pass the exam as part of their Ed 441 class, they will have time to retake the exam before student teaching deadlines.
5. Technology Competency Assessments (TCA) Requirements
- To better prepare candidates to use classroom technology, we require all education majors to obtain certification in Google, Apple, or Microsoft educator certification programs. This certification replaces the old Technology Competency Assessments (TCA).
- Candidates will be required to complete one of the educator certifications described below.
- When candidates complete one of these certifications, they should submit, either electronically or in hard copy, the certificate of completion to the Field Services Office (FieldServices@byui.edu). Although candidates aren’t required to be certified until the semester before student teaching, we encourage all candidates to obtain their certification as soon as possible so as to be able to better apply the technology to practicums and assignments throughout their program.