Idaho Certification Information

BYU-Idaho urges graduates to certify in Idaho for the following reasons:

  • Proof of licensure in Idaho allows other states to licensure without the need to verify current certification status.
  • Licensure in Idaho can save graduates both time and money.
  • Without Idaho licensure, many states will require completion of additional requirements prior to issuing a license.
  • Under the reciprocity agreement, graduates can obtain a provisional license, gain employment, and work in another state within a grace period, allowing time to meet additional requirements of the specific state.
  • Some states require individuals to be certified in the State in which they gained their education, while some require only that they be certifiable.  A few only require a transcript indicating the individual has graduated with a degree in education. It is up to the graduate to discover the specific requirements of the state in which they choose to teach.
  • Students are urged to maintain certification in Idaho, although the student is responsible to determine whether or not to do so.

Out of State Certification Information

As a courtesy to our students, BYU-Idaho provides information and guidance only for teacher certification for the State of Idaho. We do not research or provide other states' rules, regulations, and processes. It is up to the graduate to discover the chosen state’s particular process for certification and to determine whether or not it is necessary to seek licensure in Idaho for the other state. Most states have directions for certification on their Department of Education websites.

We do process verification forms for students who are applying for certification in other states. 

Out of State Certification Process

  • Research the certification process for your target State
  • Obtain a copy of your target State’s Teacher verification form if they require one
    • Complete the personal information section for your target State's Teacher verification form
    • Save your target State's Teacher verification form digitally
    • Submit the digital copy by email to Field Services
      • In the email include:
        • Year and semester of student teaching
        • I-Number
        • Mailing address