How can Advising help me?

Our primary goal in Advising is to help students discover their professional path and meet their academic and vocational goals. We help students plan their courses, find their major, discover careers related to their degree, and help them know what they can be doing academically to succeed following graduation.

What classes should I take?

Use the Grad Planner tool to map out your courses all the way up to graduation. Go to iplan.byui.edu to access your Grad Plan. you can also explore degree requirements and courses by using the online catalog and your degree audit. And of course, contact the Advising Office. We can help!

How do I register for classes?

Learn how to register for classes online through myBYUI.

I'm planning on transferring to a different university, what would be the best way to go about that?

Generally, we recommend that a student finishes their Associates Degree in General Studies before transferring, however, it would be in your best interest to talk with the university that you are hoping to transfer to and see what they would recommend.

Where can I find the prerequisites for Graduate School?

You will be best served by visiting with advisors at the graduate school you wish to attend. You can also visit the graduate school's website for admission and prerequisite requirements. Once you know what they require, you can work with the BYU-Idaho Advising Office to make a plan.

How do I get the HIAS or HIGH hold off my account?

To remove the HIAS or HIGH hold from your account, you will need an approved graduation plan in I-Plan. This will show that you are on track to graduate and are not taking unnecessary classes. To access your grad planner, go to iplan.byui.edu. Once you have organized your plan, hit the "validate" button at the bottom. When your plan approves, your hold will automatically be removed. If you need help with your plan, please contact our office at 208-496-9850.

How can I change my major?

You can change your major through the Grad Plan tool. Create an alternate grad plan in I-Plan for your desired major/minor/certificate combination. Once you have mapped out all the courses up to graduation for your desired degree, you can then change your major without the need to contact any administrators on campus! If you need assistance, contact our office at 208-496-9850.

What is a catalog year?

All students are assigned a catalog year. This is typically the year you started school at BYU-Idaho. For example, if you started in Fall 2018, you are on the 2018 catalog year. This means that your requirements to graduate are specific to that catalog year. Typically, if your major program changes requirements, you will still be locked into requirements for your individual catalog year. 

I want to defer (take a semester off) or override (take on-campus classes during my Flex-Track). How can I?

In order to defer or override a semester, you will need to get in contact with the Admissions Office. You can contact them at 208-496-1300.

How do I know what classes I need to take?

There are a few ways to find your major requirements. We first recommend going to the Career and Academic Advising Center to receive further instruction. To schedule an appointment, call 208-496-9850 or self-schedule an appointment in I-Plan.
You can use the following tools to help you plan your courses:
3. Personal Degree Audit
The following steps will help you locate your Degree Audit:
1. Go to www.byui.edu and login to your student account.
2. Click on the “Student” tab.
3. Click “Degree Information” on the left-hand side of the screen under your Academic Information.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “View All Details”.
5. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “PDF Degree Audit”.
6. A new page will open and display the PDF of the Degree Audit.

More Questions?

Contact us at 208-496-9850 to or schedule an appointment online through I-Plan.