The Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam is the first step to becoming a licensed professional engineer (PE) and is designed for recent graduates or students who are have nearly completed their undergraduate engineering degree. Passing the FE exam is a clear demonstration to future employers that one has learned and is able to apply the fundamental principles of their engineering discipline. At BYU-Idaho, civil engineering students are required to take the exam prior to graduation, and mechanical engineering students are encouraged to take the exam.
The following are some general facts about the FE exam:
- The FE exam is a computer-based exam offered in seven disciplines
- Costs $225 but will be reduced to $175 in January 2018
- Consists of 110 multiple-choice questions
- Takes 6 hours to complete
- Is offered all year long at the BYUI Testing Center on Mondays between the hours of 9am to 5pm
- Administered by Gloria Horrocks (ext 1756) in the Testing Center
- You are allowed to retake the exam if needed, but it can only be taken once per three-month testing window
- A link to view your results will be emailed to you within 7-10 business days after taking the exam
The following link provides more details about the exam, the various disciplines, and how to prepare for the exam:
The following link provides some videos and tips on taking the computer-based FE exam:
NCEES YouTube channel
To register for the exam, follow the link below to create an NCEES account
After creating an account and logging in, follow these steps to register for the exam:
- Select the exams tab on the left and then select to register for an exam
- Select the Fundamentals of Engineering exam option and then select your exam discipline (FE Civil or FE Mechanical)
- Select the Idaho board
- Acknowledge that you are only given one attempt per 3 month testing window, and only three attempts per year
- Read the Attestation information and select that you agree
- Select whether or not you need any accommodations (ADA, Military, Religious)
- If interested buy any preparation materials, then pay and checkout. The cost for the exam is $225
- After you pay for the exam you will then be able to pick a date and time to take the exam. The exam is only offered in the BYUI Testing Center on Mondays. The exam is 6 hours long, and the 6 hour timeframe needs to be scheduled to fit within the Testing Center proctor's work hours of 9am to 5pm.
- Read any further instructions provided
- After scheduling the exam, you don't need to contact the Testing Center, they will be notified through your online registration.
- After making an account you can log back in to myNCEES to download a free copy of the FE Reference Handbook. Use this handbook while studying for the exam.
- On the day of the exam, bring the materials required on your admission ticket, including a government issued photo ID.