Grad Plan - BYU-Idaho's Online Class Planning Tool

The Grad Planner provides a department-recommended Grad Plan for the degree you’ve chosen. View a “smart” recommended plan in I-Plan that adjusts for transfer credits and earned courses and allows you to change the range of credits you would like to take.

Approve your Grad Plan, create alternate plans, and change your major, all through the Grad Plan tool in I-Plan.

Grad Plan Tutorial 

Create an Alternate Plan and Change Your Major

FAQ About Class Planning

When do I register for classes?

The registration calendar will determine when you are eligible to register for classes.

How many credits should I take?

Students should be aware of the following credit requirements when deciding how many credits to take:

  • 12 credits are required to be considered a full-time student
  • 12 credits are required to receive a scholarship through BYU-Idaho with the exception of Academic Scholarships which require 14 credits
  • 15 credits are required to graduate in eight semesters or four years and for the Fast Grad program

Should I complete all my foundation classes before taking my declared major classes?

No. In order to graduate within 8 semesters, you will need to be aware of sequencing in your major. The easiest way to plan your classes is through the Grad Planner tool in I-Plan.

What if all the classes I want are full?

When a class you want to add is full, consider the following options:

    1. Take it at another time. The most desirable class times fill quickly. Often, early morning or late afternoon sections remain open. It is better to have the class at an inconvenient time than not to have it at all. (Remember, each semester you will get an earlier registration and more class choices as your credits accumulate.)
    2. Add yourself to the Waitlist and keep checking back. Seats open up in filled sections frequently as students rearrange their schedule and add and drop classes. If there is a class you really want, keep checking back to see if a seat opens up.
    3. Even though a certain schedule of classes is recommended there are many alternatives. If you meet the pre-requisites, almost any course is available to you. For Foundation classes, feel free to look at second and third semester recommendations for more class options. If you need help identifying other class choices contact your major's Academic Advising.

    NOTE: Please remember that the Academic Advising can't add students to classes.

    What if I'm a transfer student, how do my credits transfer?

    If you are a transfer student without an associate (AS or AA) degree you may have some transfer classes that can substitute to fulfill our Foundations requirements. Depending on your major, you can meet with an advisor in the Academic Advising to see if substitutions can be made. If you are a transfer student with an associate (AS or AA) degree from a regionally accredited instituion your Foundations requirements are generally complete except for remaining religion requirements.

    Who is my advisor?

    Every student is assigned a faculty mentor. However, students do not generally see their faculty mentor for help with class planning. Faculty mentors mostly help with questions about their major, career strategies, and graduate school.

    As freshmen and sophomores, students receive advising help from their major's Advising Center. Advisors are experts in class planning.

    Find your advisor here.

    How do I declare/change my major or minor?

    If you have credit space available, you can change your major or add a minor by creating an alternate graduation plan in I-Plan. Here is a YouTube video tutorial about creating alternatve graduation plans in I-Plan.

    Do I need a minor?

    Some majors allow room for a minor or certificates, while others do not. To find out about your major's specific requirements check the Catalog for details. If you have additional questions, please contact your major's Advising Center.

    What if I am undecided about what I want to do?

    If you are unsure about what you want to declare for a major or pursue as a career, we recommend taking General Studies 100 (GS 100) Career Exploration. This one credit class is designed to assist in making a decision concerning your career or major. Career assessments and the Educational Strategy tool in I-Plan will also help you assess personal interests, work styles, preferences, and skills to determine your career path.

    What if I know what career I want but don't know what major I need to qualify?

    We have an excellent site called Careers to Majors that recommends majors that will help qualify you for your career goals. We also have a site called Majors to Careers that can help you figure out what to do with your major once you enter the workforce.

    Major to Career

    What tools are available to help with the class registration process?

    Helpful class planning links include:

    1. Catalog - The catalog is very useful not only to look at classes, but for other campus policies and rules. Most questions you have can be answered by looking in the catalog.
    2. Foundations - Foundation classes are required for all new students.
    3. Academic Advising - The Academic Advising can help with general class planning. The Advising Center can help with major class planning.
    4. Grad Planner - Plan out your class sequencing from your first semester to graduation.

    When I am off-track, can I still take classes?

    You have the option of taking online classes during your off-track. You can also apply for a one-semester override or Fast Grad status through the Admission Office. Contact Admissions at 208-496-1300 to learn more.

    I just returned from a mission and would like to test out of a foreign language. How do I do that?

    Visit the Language and Letters Department website for details about competency exams: