Application Timeline Overview
- Applications are submitted 12-14 months before the desired optometry school enrollment date. Applications can be submitted in June/July for the following year.
- It is helpful to create a timeline for yourself when applying to optometry school. Having an academic plan, a plan to complete extra-curricular activities and a plan for test preparation all contribute to your timeline.
Preparing to apply
- Talk to the potential writers of your Letters of Recommendation. Give them plenty of time to write the letters.
- Continue with your volunteer, shadowing, or research activities until you have received an acceptance letter from an optometry school. Do not stop these activities until you have an official offer of admission. It may take more than one application cycle to gain admission, so you need to be continually improving your application until you do.
- Prepare for and take the OAT or GRE– Register for and take it by the end of May in the year you submit your application.
- Consult the OptomCAS website for school requirements. Always confirm school-specific requirements by checking each school’s website directly.
- Continue to save money for the application process.
Optometry School Application Timeline (PDF)