What is computer information technology?
Computer information technology (CIT) is the use and study of computers, networks, computer languages, and databases within an organization to solve real problems. The major prepares students for applications programming, networking, systems administration, and internet development. Technologies studied in information systems include programming, networking, server administration, information security, database design and development, systems analysis and designing, and web development.
Why should I consider majoring in computer information technology?
CIT careers allow a person to assemble pre-existing components or to create something that has never been seen before. There is a high demand for CIT graduates all over the country in all segments of the economy. Careers in CIT pay higher than average salaries. CIT is a very interactive career to work in. It also provides a lot of work variety. In this major, students learn about the theory, organization and process of information collection, transmission and utilization through computers. Students learn how to analyze user needs and how to plan, design, develop, implement, and manage networks. Through coursework, students develop skills in problem-solving techniques, mathematics, and computer systems. They take a series of basic courses in mathematics and computer science.
What interests and values are related to computer information technology?
CIT students are usually enthusiastic about new technology. They are curious and creative, patient and responsible. They enjoy assisting in the application and creation of new technology, and have the ability to work both independently and in a group setting. Students of CIT are usually interested in computers, problem solving, games, and music. They should have good oral and written communication skills, and should be good at working with and organizing numerical data.
What career fields are related to computer information technology?
- Computer & Information Sciences
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Engineering Technology
- Computer Programming
- Computer Science
- Computer Software & Media Applications
- Computer System Administration
- Computer System Networking & Telecommunication
- Computer Systems Analysis
- Data Entry & Microcomputer Application
- Drafting/CAD/Design Technology
- Electrical Equipment Installation/Maintenance/Repair
- Information Processing/Data Entry Technology
- Information Science & Studies
- Management Information Systems/Services
- Mathematics & Computer Science
- Mechanical Drafting/CAD Technology
- Technology/Industry Arts Teacher Education