BYU-Idaho values suggestions and ideas that can improve the university.
Use our Feedback Form to let us know what you think.
With my home?
- Unplug unused electrical products
- According to DOE, water heating is the third most energy consuming function in the home
- Shorten your showers
- Avoid using space heaters
- Turn off lights during daylight hours when it's not necessary, especially if you have AC (these lights create heat)
- Vacuum the refrigerator coils
- Don’t leave the fridge door open
- Don't overload the fridge or freezer, the air needs room to circulate
- Use the oven’s self cleaning feature immediately after cooking with the oven, reduces warm up costs
- Use lids on pots and pans to reduce cooking times
- Wash only full loads of laundry
- Use hot water for only very dirty loads
- Run dryer loads immediately after one another to reduce warm up costs