Flammable or combustible materials will generally not ignite without an external source of ignition.
The following procedures shall be used to control known ignition sources at this university:
All cutting torch operations should be supervised and conducted in accordance with university hot work policies, procedures and/or permit requirements.
- Cooking appliances shall be periodically inspected and maintained in proper working condition.
- Lighted candles are not permitted in university buildings.
- The university fire protection officer shall be contacted for approval of any anticipated use of open flames for performances and such activities shall be conducted under his/her direction and in compliance with governing fire code regulations.
- Electrical outlets shall not be overloaded. Electrical appliances and cords shall be monitored by responsible employees and shall be maintained in good working condition at all times. Defective equipment or cords shall promptly be taken out of service until adequate repairs can be made.
- Smoking is not permitted in university facilities.
- Small internal combustion engines shall be routinely maintained and kept in proper working condition. Equipment with hot manifolds shall not be utilized or placed in close proximity to flammable or combustible materials.