Silver Crest Elementary School
Principal: Amanda Edwards
Jordan School District
"Discover, develop, and celebrate greatness"
About Silver Crest Elementary
Silver Crest Elementary is located in the rapidly growing city of Herriman (about 25 miles south and west of Salt Lake City.) Our faculty is dedicated to giving students a great education with a good foundation in basic skills and ample opportunities for growth. Our focus is on kids, and "what's best for kids" impacts each decision we make. We have a strong PTA, with a great, supportive community, and all work together to create and maintain the positive atmosphere that is so important to us here at Silver Crest.
- Silver Crest Elementary serves 950 students from K-6 on a year-round calendar. This means we begin earlier and end later than a traditional schedule, but teachers and students get four 3-week breaks at various times during the year.
- The school day begins at 8:25 a.m. and ends at 3:25 p.m. except on Fridays, when school dismisses at 1:20 p.m. to allow teachers time for planning.
- Our beautiful, kid-friendly, two-story building, opened in August of 2009. It features large spacious classrooms equipped with lots of storage, sinks, audio enhancement and digital projection systems.
- The teacher/pupil ratio is 1:23 in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades, and 1:27 in 4th, 5th, and 6th grades. Actual class sizes will vary.
- Silver Crest is a "Leader in Me" school. Which means our students are trained in Stephen Covey's 7 Habits to build leadership skills, and help children see the greatness within. Student leaders perform varied functions at the school, from creating televised school-wide announcements, to participating in student council, to serving in leadership roles within their individual classrooms. The children keep data notebooks to track their academic progress and share these with parents during student-led conferences twice a year.
- Our Mission Statement is: "Discover, develop, and celebrate greatness." We focus on the 7 habits to help us accomplish this goal.
- Silver Crest actively participates in Professional Learning Communities (PLC's). Teacher's meet weekly with their team for 45 minutes to discuss student performance and support each other in efforts to enhance achievement. During this time, their classes are instructed in art, character ed, leadership skills, etc., by educational aides.