BYU-Idaho values suggestions and ideas that can improve the university.
Use our Feedback Form to let us know what you think.
Apply NOW for student teaching. Deadlines are listed below, but it is NEVER too early to apply.
Students must apply to student teach up to 18 months before the semester they intend to be placed. To apply and be eligible to be placed in a school for student teaching, the application includes:
Instructions for Application Checklist
Below is a brief overview of the application checklist:
1. Student Teaching Online Application
The online application is a small part of the application process as a whole. It provides the opportunity for a student to declare their student teaching semester.
Click Here: Application
2. VCC - Verification of Completed Coursework
The VCC is a document that gives the status on your completion of your required courses. It will have to be carfefully reviewed and signed by your advisor(s) and faculty mentor(s) from your major (and minor, if Secondary Education). Please plan on a minimum of ten minutes for each visit.
· Bring a copy of your Grad plan to your Academic Discovery Center, your content area, to begin the VCC and verify all required coursework.
The photo will be attached to your personal bio, which will be given to potential principals for student teaching.
· The campus photography studio (MCK Library 356) will take your photo. This service is free to you unless you choose to purchase more prints. You may go at any time; you do not need an appointment.
4. Personal Bio
The personal bio is a brief, one-page essay which may include family background, interests, skills that will be utilized in teaching, education, reasons for choosing teaching as a profession, but should emphasize your philosophy of teaching.
· For more details about the bio, please view the application checklist pdf.
· Copy and paste your completed bio into the template provided (click HERE for template). You will be filling in the grey spaces; the text will be grey behind it.
· Save the template with your inserted text on your computer and then attach the finished template to an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Background Clearance for the State of Idaho (Fingerprinting)
· Fingerprinting for the State of Idaho must be done by the application deadline for the semester in which you wish to student teach. This service is provided in the Field Services Office (HIN 325). You do NOT need to make an appointment to be fingerprinted.
· ALL BYU-I Education majors must be fingerprinted for Idaho regardless of their intended destination for student teaching or career teaching.
· You will be asked to complete a second set of fingerprints if you are student teaching in any state other than Idaho. This will occur after you have applied and have been assigned to another state.
· Government-issued ID must be presented before you can be printed. Please bring one of the following: a driver's license, a state issued photo ID, passport, a military card with photo included, etc. . .
STUDENT TEACHING PLACEMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED UNTIL ALL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN MET.
Other Student Teaching Preparation
· Complete all course work, exams (e.g., three State Literacy Exams (for ELED and ECSE), Praxis (all majors), etc.), and other requirements for graduation.
For more information about the Praxis:
~ Click HERE for the ETS website
~ Visit your program faculty lead
· For detailed information about student teaching, please view the Field Services Preparation Packet
· Students who have special needs must submit a Request for an Exception to Policy for some of the following reasons:
Save your Request for an Exception to Policy to your computer, then attach it to an email to the Field Services Office at email@example.com or bring a copy to HIN 325.
Spring 2014 -- October 1, 2013
Fall 2014 -- November 1, 2013
Winter 2015 -- December 1, 2013