Certification in States Other Than Idaho

As a courtesy to our students, BYU – Idaho provides information and guidance for the certification process in Idaho. 

We do not research other states to find out about all of their rules, regulations and processes.

Certification – whether in Idaho or any other state – is a POST GRADUATION process.  It is up to you as the graduate to do your own homework to find out what your chosen state’s particular process for certification is and to determine whether or not you will seek licensure in Idaho.  Most states have directions for certification on their Department of Education web sites.

WE DO process verification forms for students who are applying for certification in other states. 

  • These forms should be sent to Sister Carol Frongner in the Student Teaching Office, along with the following information
    • Name as it appeared on the campus data base at the time of graduation
    • Year and semester you student taught
    • I-number
    • Name of degree (example: Elementary Education, Mathematics Education, etc.)
    • Current address
    • Current phone number
  • Enter your personal information onto the verification form. 
  • We will complete our portion of the document, make sure that it has the appropriate signature and or seal and return it to you, unless directed otherwise by the instructions on the form.
  • Please be sure to give us contact information should we need to contact you concerning problems with your form.
  • To further facilitate the process, please list the semester and year you student taught.

BYU – Idaho almost always recommends that our graduates certify in Idaho for these reasons:

  • Licensing in Idaho usually facilitates licensing in other states because of the reciprocity agreement between most of the states in the nation.
  • Being licensed in Idaho can save graduates both time and money.  Many states would otherwise require completion of additional requirements prior to issuing a license.
  • Under the reciprocity agreement, graduates can obtain a provisional license, gain employment, and work in another state within a grace period, allowing time to meet additional requirements.
  • As always, there are exceptions to the rule.  While many states require certification, some require individuals be certifiable, and a few only require a transcript indicating the individual has graduated with a degree in education.  It is up to the graduate to discover what a specific state requires.
  • We do advise students to certify in Idaho, although determination of whether or not to do so rests solely on the student.