Upon being hired as a student employee, you must complete the new hire onboarding process for international students before your first day of training and/or work.
Students are NOT authorized to work until the following onboarding process has been completed.
The following must be completed before coming into the Human Resources Office:
- Review the Student Employment Policies for International Students
- Print out and complete the Student Employment Agreement Form
- View the International Student Employment Checklist for an overview of the processes to be completed.
International students must have the required documentation as listed below:
- Other acceptable documentation: Permanent Residency Card, Employment Authorization Card, and F-1 Student Visa Receipt (For individuals who have a temporary non-immigrant visa who have changed their visa status while residing in the U.S)
- For a complete list of acceptable identification, click here.
- Please bring appropriate documentation into the Human Resources Office in 226 Kimball where a Student Employment Representative will assist with the completion of the onboarding (hiring) process outlined below:
Once proper identification has been shown to a Student Employee Representative, the creation of a Workday account will be authorized. A Student Employment Representative will assist you in entering and completing the following in Workday:
- Contact Information
- Personal Information
- Form I-9 Sections 1 & 2
- Withholding Elections (W-4)
- Payment Elections (Direct Deposit) - Account and Routing Numbers are necessary to complete this step.
- At the direction of a Student Employment Representative, complete all action items in your Workday inbox
- If not already completed, complete the Student Agreement Form
- Receive a completed Employment Verification Letter for a Social Security Card application from a Student Employment Representative
Before you can begin employment, you must also complete the following processes:
The following must be completed upon submission of the steps above:
- Some employment positions require you to review a "new hire checklist". This will be available upon completion of the new hire process. You can download the appropriate checklist below:
- Review how to enter and submit time in Workday (excludes students working in facilities)
- Complete the Privacy Training. This training must be taken before beginning work. Completing this training allows you access to special systems (pending a request by a supervisor on your behalf).
Use the Social Security Card button information:
Social Security Card
As an international student working on campus, a Social Security Number is required for employment and payroll purposes. In order to receive a Social Security Number please take the following documents to the Social Security Administration in Idaho Falls:
- Click here for Social Security Card application
- Employment Verification signed by a Student Employment Representative and an International Student Advisor in 276 MC
For any questions concerning the above documents, please contact the Student Employment Team at (208) 496-1712 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Security Administration
2196 Channing Way, Idaho Falls, ID 83404
Mon: 9:00 AM-4:00 PM; Tues: 9:00AM-4:00PM; Wed: 9:00AM-12:00PM
Thurs: 9:00AM-4:00PM; Fri: 9:00AM-4:00PM; Sat & Sun: CLOSED
For more information on Social Security Numbers and Cards please click here.