Frequently Asked Questions

What major do I choose?
Health profession schools do not require students to choose a particular major.  Only the specific prerequisite classes are required for admission.  The majority of students choose to major in Biology or Exercise Physiology because many of the prerequisite classes are built into the major.  However, BYU-Idaho students have been accepted into health professions schools representing a variety of majors. List of Majors...

What if I am a Business Major or other non-science major, does the high credit limit apply to me?
Yes.  The high credit restriction applies to every student on campus.  A Post-Baccalaureate Program is available for students who do not finish prerequisite courses.  Check with the Ag and Life Science Advising office for more information.

What is an entrance exam and when do I take it?
Every health profession school requires applicants to take an entrances exam.  For example, medical school requires the MCAT.  Dental schools require the DAT.  The entrance exam allows admission committees to compare applicants.  Each test is slightly different in the subjects that are tested.  The test should be taken after all coursework covering tested subjects is completed. Preferably, it should be taken a few months before you submit your application.

What resources are available to study for my entrance exam?
BYU-Idaho has many test preparation materials in the library for health professions students.  Ask someone at the circulation desk for materials both on reserve and online.  The library has Kaplan DAT and MCAT practice tests on reserve in the library. 

There are many companies who specialize in test preparation materials.  Go online and do research on the resources that are available.  Read reviews about which materials students found helpful and which they did not.

Where can I take my entrance exam?
All of the exams are taken at a certified Testing Center.  The closest center is at ISU in Pocatello, but they are also located in Salt Lake and Boise. Registration is done online through the entrance exam website.

How can I get in contact with the Pre-Health Profession Societies?
The best way to found out about societies is to talk with other students in your classes.  Also, check the BYU-Idaho society homepage to see if BYU-Idaho has a society for your profession.  If a society does not currently exist, explore the possibility of creating one for your health profession.  Click here...

What are the prerequisites for my health profession?
Information for prerequisites can be found on this website. Click here...

What is the most common course sequence for the prerequisite classes?
Course sequence documents can be found online on the Health Professions Website for each particular health profession.  Use the documents as a guide while you plan out your graduation plan in the Grad Plan Tool.  Click here...

Who do I ask for letters of evaluation?
Health profession schools usually require, at a minimum, one letter of evaluation from a science faculty member and one from a professional in the chosen field.  However, most schools require anywhere from 3-6 LOEs.  The additional letters could come from additional faculty or supervisors from work.  Check each school you are applying to for specific information.

Does BYU-Idaho offer a committee process?   What do I do if a school requires one?
BYU-Idaho does not offer a Health Professions Committee Process for letters of evaluation. Information will be posted on the centralized application service website about alternatives to a committee letter.  However, BYU-Idaho does offer a letter of evaluation service.  Evaluators may submit their LOEs to BYU-Idaho's Academic Advising, and they will send the letters to the application service you designate or to individual schools you designate if required.

What is the Grad Planning Tool?
The grad planning tool can be used to plan major and minor/cluster requirements, as well as prerequisite classes.  Click here...

What is shadowing?
Shadowing involves observing a health care professional in their day-to-day duties.  It is important when making the decision to pursue a career that you know what duties, responsibilities, and tasks you will be required to do every day.

How do admissions committees look at retakes?
One or two retake classes are generally not a concern for admissions committees if the student shows improvement.  However, this applies to general education classes.  Avoid having to retake prerequisite science classes.  Admissions committees view multiple retakes on a transcript as a lack of academic ability or poor planning.

What is BYU-Idaho's retake policy?
See the BYU-Idaho catalog for official information.  Click here...

How do admissions committees look at LDS Missions?
Often a question arises about church callings and missions fulfilling any of the non-academic admission requirements. Activities (callings) in the church may be used and applicants are strongly encouraged to use and discuss them openly. It is important to note however that admissions committees are aware that to accept a calling or serve a mission can also be culturally motivated in the LDS culture. Therefore applicants should not expect church service to stand alone in the fulfillment of these requirements. When used in conjunction with other activities, church service can display a pattern of behavior which admissions committees find favorable.

It is known that LDS missions are primarily proselyte missions, not service missions. It is imperative that applicants not attempt to portray their mission for anything other than what it was. Missions are widely respected by admissions committees as excellent experiences for growth, leadership, and exposure to a different way of life. Many admissions committee members have stated that they like the "returned-missionary" type. In the explanation of church service it is important to explain positions or responsibilities in a way that persons who are not of the church can understand.

What if I already have a Bachelor's Degree?
Students with a Bachelor's Degree may take classes at BYU-Idaho to fulfill prerequisite classes.  Another option is to attend another college or university to finish pre-requisite classes (ISU-Idaho Falls offers all of the prerequisite classes).  Go to the following website for more information. Click here...

What if I'm an international student?
Please read the article on this website for more information about Medical School information for international students.  This does not apply to Canadian citizens.  Click here...