Like the college, the campus newspaper's name has changed through the years:
- The Student Rays were published irregularly from 1905-1933 and was the first campus newspaper.
- The Purple Flash became the new name for the paper and was published from 1934-1937.
- Viking Flash became the student paper for the brief period of 1937-1938.
- Viking Scroll took over from 1939-1973.
- Scroll dropped the word "Viking" in 1973 and is the present student newspaper available on campus.
Each issue includes student publications on various subjects such as domestic science, religion, and local issues. Later editions included photographs of students, faculty, and events.
Print editions of the Ricks College/BYU Idaho Scrolls from 1905 to the present have been digitized and are available online at the digital BYU-Idaho Scrolls Collection.
A version of the current edition is available online through I~Comm Student Media.