Math 100L: Lesson 12
Speaking Partner Visit: Graphing Equations with Slope
Read the following information to your Speaking Partner:
- Which of these phrases are the most common?
- Which phrases does your speaking partner use most often?
- Which ones are you most comfortable with?
- Share an experience in which you expressed thanks to someone in English. How did that person respond?
- Share an experience in which someone thanked you for doing something in English. How did you respond?
- What is your favorite phrase for responding to thanks?
- What is your speaking partner’s favorite phrase for apologizing?
English Pronunciation: Beginning consonant clusters
Groups of consonants—or “consonant clusters”—must be pronounced closely together. Do not separate them with a vowel sound. Listen to your Speaking Partner say the following words. Then repeat the words.
|Consonant Cluster||Consonant + Vowel|
Listen to your Speaking Partner say the following consonant cluster words. Then repeat the words:
Clusters that begin with the letter “s”
Clusters with the “r” or “l” sound as the second letter
Clusters with “w” as the second letter
Clusters with three consonants
Do the following activities with your Speaking Partner.
- Choose three words from those listed above. Ask your Speaking Partner a question using those three words. Do this back and forth so that you have each asked and answered five questions.
- Practice your pronunciation by repeating the following phrases several times:
- We prayed the parade would proceed as planned.
- The estate taxes are higher than the state taxes.
- Sharon swims slowly through the swampy crossing.
Practice saying the following numbers:
- (5, 2) (5, 6)
- –4x + 7y = 19
- 5x – 8y = –33
- x + 8y = 46
- y = 3x + 8
- $ .32