GS 120L: Lesson 12
Speaking Partner Appointment: Giving Back
Read the following subsection of the "We Can All Help" section of the "Helping Others" page from Mormon.org to your speaking partner. Read one time through and discuss pronunciation, unfamiliar phrases, or vocabulary words. Read another time through and discuss how we can help others.
Jesus Christ Set the Perfect Example of Helping Others
"The life of Jesus Christ makes clear the duty and privilege we have to serve our brothers and sisters on earth. After his last supper here on earth, Jesus Christ sat with His disciples, knowing His mortal life would soon be taken. He knew that He would suffer for the sins of the world. He knew that one of His apostles would betray Him to the mob that would crucify Him. Though He must have felt the weight of all these heavy thoughts, Jesus Christ humbly knelt and washed His disciples' feet before He left them. The Son of God, who had lived a perfect life, had power to heal the sick and raise the dead, and change water to wine, performed this simple and lowly act of service. No one mightier or more worthy of devotion ever lived, but He knelt and cleansed the feet of His disciples. The Savior provided the perfect example of service. Every minute of His ministry here on earth was spent in service of His fellow human beings.
He fed the hungry. He healed the sick. He blessed those in need. He served by teaching. Even as a twelve-year-old boy, he was "about [His] father's business" (Luke 2:49). It may be overwhelming to try to live up to Christ's perfect example of service, but we can remember that even our smallest actions show our determination to be like Him. When we visit the sick or the lonely, we are being like Jesus. When we help our neighbors fix their roof, when we serve a meal to someone who needs it, when we donate to disaster relief, when we forgive those who offend us, we are serving as He would serve. Serving like Jesus Christ has a cleansing effect on us. It helps us understand the idea that our time, talents and possessions are not just our own."
You may want to discuss the following:
- How did Jesus Christ show a perfect example of service throughout his mortal ministry?
- How did He show this to His apostles one last time?
- Discuss some of the "smallest actions" we may take to try to be like Him?
- How does "serving like Jesus Christ" have a cleansing effect on us?
- This is your last appointment with your speaking partner. You may spend a few minutes discussing how or what you have learned together as you've met throughout the last 12 weeks.
- How will you each "give back" after this appointment (e.g., to one another, to other Pathway students, to your families, to your ward or branch, to your community,etc.)?
If time allows, go over some of the Vocabulary list and discuss definitions or how the words are used.