GS 120L: Lesson 11
Speaking Partner Appointment: The Importance of Family
Read the following portion of Elder Richard G. Scott's April 2011 General Conference talk to your speaking partner. Read one time through and discuss pronunciation, unfamiliar phrases, or vocabulary words. Read another time through and discuss the purpose of the family as a vital part of Heavenly Father's plan.
The Eternal Blessings of Marriage
"Two of the vital pillars that sustain Father in Heaven's plan of happiness are marriage and the family. Their lofty significance is underscored by Satan's relentless efforts to splinter the family and to undermine the significance of temple ordinances, which bind the family together for eternity. The temple sealing has greater meaning as life unfolds. It will help you draw ever closer together and find greater joy and fulfillment in mortality."
You may want to discuss the following:
- Why do you think Elder Scott said that marriage and family are "vital pillars" in the plan of happiness?
- "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" emphasizes the importance of marriage and the family in the plan by saying that "marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children." How does the family unit fulfill "the eternal destiny of His children?"
- Why is Satan working so hard to fight the family unit, especially as formed within the temple sealing ordinance?
- How can we prepare ourselves to receive the blessings of this temple ordinance during this life?
- In what ways do you think the temple sealing draws families closer over time "as life unfolds"?
- How do you think you can either improve the happiness within your family or prepare for a future happy family now?