Healthcare workers and students are at risk for exposure to and possible transmission of diseases that can be avoided through proper immunization. Based on contractual requirements that need to be met for clinical placement and for your protection, the following immunizations are required of all RN to BSN students for the entire semester in which they are enrolled in NURS 327, 400, 449 and/or 450.
- Tdap (within the last 5 years)
- Annually a copy of report of a negative TB skin test (PPD, a positive result requires a clear chest x-ray report)
- MMR (vaccination dates (2) or positive titers)
- Hepatitis B (vaccination dates (3) or positive titer)
- Varicella/Chicken pox (positive titer)
- Annual flu vaccine (for Fall and Winter semesters)
If for some reason you need a waiver for any immunization (pregnancy, allergic reaction, etc.), you need to follow the procedure outlined at http://www.byui.edu/Documents/nursing/nursing/RN-BSN/Immunizations/Flu%20Waiver.pdf. We cannot waive your immunizations; this can only be done by the facility/facilities where you will complete your clinical hours. This waiver(s) must be maintained in your RN to BSN student file within our office and should be mailed to Nursing Outreach office at BYU-Idaho, 103 ASB, Rexburg, Idaho 83460-8011, emailed as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org, or faxed to 208-496-6253.
Additional information is available at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) at http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/spec-grps/hcw.htm. We suggest that you review CDC recommendations. Common questions, recommendations and guidelines are readily available there.
In addition to immunization requirements, the following certifications and screenings are required:
- Current copy of your RN license showing your license number and date of expiration
- Copy of results of your 10-Panel Drug Tests (usually needed only at the start of the program, though some clinical placements may require an additional screening just prior to your clinical placement)
- Current copy of your American Heart Association CPR/BLS for Healthcare Providers card