Ensemble Placement Audition dates:
Fall 2015: September 15
Winter 2016: January 6
Spring 2016: April 21
Auditions will be held by instrument in each instructor's office as follows:
Trumpets: SNO 282D, Ryan Nielsen
Horns: SNO 282H, Jon Klein
Trombones: SNO 282E, e-mail Bryce Mecham for audition materials and instructions
Tubas & Euphoniums: SNO 282F, Matt Moore
Sign-up sheets for auditions times will be posted the week before auditions outside each instructor's office.
General audition requirement information:
- Standard solo of your choice
- Assigned excerpts from repertoire to be performed
- Sight Reading
For jazz auditions:
- 24 hr jazz piece (provided the day prior to auditions)
Specific instrument audition information:
- Contact the professor of your instrument (see above) for specific requirements. For trombone, see below.
Trombone auditions for large ensembles (bands and orchestras) will take place on first day of classes, Monday, September 14, 2015. A sign-up sheet will be posted on the bulletin board outside Dr. Mecham's office door (SNO 282E) by Friday, September 11, 2015. Music majors and scholarship recipients are REQUIRED to audition. Non-majors are strongly encouraged.
Below is the list of trombone audition materials, including links. You can find most of the music at tromboneexcerpts.org. Prepare the portion of the music shown on tromboneexcerpts.org, unless otherwise noted. Non-majors may elect to prepare a solo of their choice instead of the below excerpts. It is highly recommended that you listen to recordings of these pieces multiple times in order to determine tempo, style, context, etc. A good starting point for recordings is tromboneexcerpts.org (click on orchestras listed below each excerpt). Also, tenor trombones, please take note of clefs. Good luck everyone!
- Mozart, Requiem
- Berlioz, Hungarian March) (pickups to 4 through 2 after 5)
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Russian Easter (trombone 2 solo)
- One minute of a solo or etude of your choice
- This jazz etude, and be prepared to improvise two choruses of blues in F maj
- Sight reading.
BASS TROMBONES (same materials as last year)