Admission & Scholarship Information
Incoming freshman and transfer students applying to BYU-Idaho seeking a degree in music are required to submit an application for admission to the university as well as an application for audition and scholarship for the Department of Music according to the following steps. Candidates are encouraged to audition live on campus or at a satellite location. Those who are not able to travel to Rexburg may submit a video audition via YouTube. Auditions are held on the dates listed below, or by appointment with the private instructor in your area listed below.
|Dec. 1||BYU-Idaho Priority Application Deadline|
|Jan. 29-30, 2015||On Campus Audition Day|
|Jan. 31, 2015||Satellite Auditions in Utah
Ensign Stake Center: 135 A Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84103
Contact LuWana Roberts to schedule an audition
|Feb. 1||Priority Music Department Application and Audition Deadline|
|Feb. 1||BYU-Idaho Application Deadline|
The priority deadline for receiving all materials is February 1.
Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis after the February 1 deadline based on availability in the individual studios.
Additionally, all incoming freshmen and transfer students will need to take a Theory placement exam before they can take their first musicianship course. Information (including practice exams) can be found here.
Scholarships: The Department of Music offers merit based awards up to full tuition. Consideration for these scholarships are based on your audition.
Steps for Admission:
- Apply for Admission to BYU-Idaho
- Submit an Application for Admission and Scholarship to the Department of Music.
- Submit the following letters of recommendation:
- Submit an audition.
- Instrumental applicants are encouraged to perform a LIVE audition if at all possible. Live auditions can be scheduled by contacting the department of music, must be scheduled a week in advance, and should be completed by the scholarship deadline. View Scholarship Audition Requirements
- Vocal applicants must submit a VIDEO recording by February 1st. (This deadline applies to all students beginning school the following Fall, Winter, or Spring semesters.) You are encouraged to submit this by posting an unlisted video to YouTube and sending the link with your completed application. (As an alternative, DVDs may be sent but are unreliable.) Applicants selected in this preliminary audition will be invited to campus for a live audition. (Phone or internet audition may be substituted if distance does not permit a live audition.) View Scholarship Audition Requirements
For general music scholarship questions, please contact:
For specific questions regarding scholarships for your area or instrument , please contact the appropriate coordinator:
Horn - Dr. Jon Klein
Jazz - Dr. Mark Watkins
Organ - Dr. Daniel Kerr
Percussion - Dr. David Taylor
Piano - Dr. Stephen Thomas
Strings - Dr. Dallin Hansen
Trombone - Dr. Bryce Mecham
Trumpet - Dr. Ryan Nielsen
Tuba/Euphonium - Dr. Matt Moore
Vocal - Choral Assistant
Woodwinds - Diane Soelberg