Dealing With Mass Emails
Mass Email Policy
Officially, emails that consist of more than 500 recipients per message cannot be sent or received through a BYU-Idaho email account. Additionally, the BYU-Idaho account limits emails to 10,000 recipients per day. Sending a lot of emails in a short period of time to a wide list of users may qualify you for being blocked.
Even though our stated limit is 500 recipients per message and 10,000 recipients per day, Microsoft has identify a limit that we do not share to avoid spammers. If spammers were to find the Microsoft limit they would use it to stay within the lines of credulity to bypass our security. We advise pacing your sending to a longer period of time or investigating using mass mailing software such as the one that University Relations utilizes in order to get a better through-rate, in addition to better analytics.
Note: If you're consistently attempting to send emails to more than 10,000 recipients daily, please contact University Relations for other options.
Exceptions to this policy are intended only for explicitly-authorized senders. This includes the following:
- Daily updates to employees containing general news and information.
- Important emails from the President/President’s Council, announcements of death, and time-sensitive schedule changes.
- Emergency emails about weather warnings, catastrophes, and evacuations.
- Student updates, including activities, societies, associations, updates, and other important information.
When sending approved mass emails from your BYU-Idaho account or to BYU-Idaho recipients (students, faculty, staff, and alumni), campus procedure strongly encourages that you use the "bcc" (Blind Carbon Copy) option.
What Is Bcc?
"Bcc" is the practice of sending an email to multiple recipients without disclosing the complete list of recipients.
Why Use Bcc?
You should "bcc" when:
- You are sending a copy of your correspondence to a third party (for example, a colleague) and you do not want to let the recipient know the third party’s email address.
- You are sending an email to multiple recipients so that you can hide their email addresses from each other. This is a sensible anti-spam precaution because it avoids making a long list of email addresses available to all recipients.
How Do I Send an Email with BCC?
- When sending a new email message, click on "Cc…"
- In the popup window that appears, enter the email addresses of all recipients into the "Bcc" section at the bottom.
- Once you have entered the desired email addresses, click "OK."
- Write the email and click "Send."