How to Set Up 2-Factor Authentication
This article will walk you through the process of setting up 2FA for your account.
Setting Up 2-Factor Authentication
NOTE: The instructions below are only for those who wish to use Duo Mobile's push notifications as their authentication method. We recommend push notifications, as they are the easiest and fastest way of authenticating; however, if you do not have a smartphone or do not wish to use push notifications, you can authenticate via a passcode sent through text messaging or a phone call.
To set up 2FA:
1. Sign in to your BYU-Idaho account on the day 2FA is implemented.
2. Click "Add a new device."
3. Click "Call Me."
4. You'll receive a phone call from Duo Security. Answer the phone and follow the over-the-phone instructions.
5. After you hang up the phone, you'll be asked what type of device you wish to use to authenticate. Choose “Mobile Phone” from the list provided.
6. You'll then be taken to a screen where you'll need to enter and confirm a phone number for your account. Enter your phone number in the box provided, then check the box next to the line "This number already exists and will be replaced."
7. Click "Continue."
8. You'll be taken to a screen where you'll be asked what type of phone you wish to use - iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, or "Other." Select your phone type and click “Continue.”
9. The next screen will prompt you to install the Duo Mobile app. For more information about installing the Duo Mobile app, please check out our articles about Duo Mobile for iPhone, Duo Mobile for Android, and Duo Mobile for Windows Phone. After you have downloaded and installed the app, click "I have Duo Mobile installed."
10. Follow the onscreen instructions to link your account to the Duo Mobile app.
11. Click "Back to Login."
You're now set up with 2FA! Click the box next to "Remember me for 30 days," then click "Send me a Push" and respond to the notification to complete the authentication process. From now on, any time you need to authenticate you'll only need to click "Send me a Push" whenever you're asked to authenticate.