Linux Wireless Printing
Linux setup for BYU-Idaho student printing
Prerequisite #1: You must be connected to the BYU-Idaho network before attempting these steps. You must be connected to the BYU-Idaho network in order to print using the printers setup through these steps.
Prerequisite #2: You must have ability to add Windows Printers via Samba. If you don't, you may need to add the “SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix” ('Samba').
1. Install Samba printing (if not already installed)
2. Begin adding or installing a Printer
3. Select Network Printer, choose Windows Printer via Samba
4. In the Samba path field (labeled “smb://”) enter: BYUI/abinadi.byui.edu/StudentBW
5. Click Browse. You will be presented with a browse window and shortly after you will be informed you must logon to abinadi.byui.edu.
6. Enter your BYU-Idaho username, “BYUI” for the Domain, and your BYU-Idaho password, then click OK
If successful, you will be returned to the browse dialog and a list of print queues.
7. Select the desired print queue (example: StudentBW) then press OK
You will be returned to the New Printer dialog.
8. Select “Set authentication details now”
9. Enter your BYU-Idaho username with BYUI/ before your username in the username field and your password in the password field, then click Forward.
10. Choose the driver to use by specifying the brand, printer model, and driver. Then click Forward
Example: choose HP LaserJet 600 M601 M602 M603 driver for the StudentBW queue.
Other models are also acceptable. Refer to the list of print queues for alternate models.
11. Set installable options. Then click Forward
Most printers at BYU-Idaho have Duplex Unit installed and some have additional paper trays.
12. Name and describe your printer. Then click Apply
Recommend naming the printer according to the queue it connects to.
Example: You might name it “StudentBW_BYUI” to show it's for the “StudentBW queue.
We added “_BYUI” to the end of the name to show it's for use at BYU-Idaho. Your choice.
You may be offered to send a test print (your choice)