Email Setup @ BYUI
On-campus users are treated royally. Outlook will automatically recognize you through the magic of "AutoDiscover"!
If you see the message, "Allow this website to configure firstname.lastname@example.org server settings?", simply answer "Allow".
- Many email programs, such as, Hotmail and Gmail will allow you to retrieve messages from another email address using either POP3 or IMAP. BYU-Idaho does not directly support connecting a your email account in this way to any clients except Outlook or Entourage, but if you choose to use a different application, the below configuration will allow you to download messages.
- To change your server settings refer to the information below. The examples below are for an employee email@example.com with johndoe123 as his BYU-Idaho User Name (formerly known as a net-id).
Outlook 2010/2013 for Windows
The easiest way to set up Outlook is through something called "Outlook Anywhere" and documented at http://www.byui.edu/help-desk/employee-home-email-setup-windows.
On Macintosh machines click on the application name (Mac Mail, Entourage, or Outlook) in the menu bar and select preferences. On the preferences window select accounts and then click the plus sign in the lower left hand corner. This will ask you for your relevant email settings. Here is the information you need to know:
Outlook 2011/2015* for Macintosh
*Outlook 2015 available as of 01/2015. Please contact the Help Desk (x9000 or HelpDesk@byui.edu) if you would like to upgrade.
- Change username to YourUsername@byui.edu
- Type https://outlook.office365.com
- Name: (optional)
- Email Address: YourEmailAddress@byui.edu
- Description: (optional)
- User Name: YourUsername@byui.edu
- Password (should have carried over from previous screen)
- Server Address: outlook.office365.com
- Incoming Server: outlook.office365.com
- Port: 995
- Save Messages on Server: Yes
- (By default, POP3 will extract your e-mail messages from your BYU-Idaho mailbox. Make sure to leave a copy of the messages on the server so that you can still access them through the BYU-Idaho Exchange system.)
- Encryption: SSL
- Username: firstname.lastname@example.org (be sure to include the @byui.edu)
IMAP leaves all of your email on the server, and allows you to access it from multiple computers and other devices all at the same time.
- Server: outlook.office365.com
- Port: 993
- Encryption: SSL
- Username: email@example.com
- Server: smtp.office365.com
- Port: 587
- Encryption: TLS
- My Server Requires Authentication: Yes
- Require Secure Password Authentication: NO
- Log on Using: firstname.lastname@example.org
(SMTP is not supported from off-campus or through cell phones)