Department Mailbox: How to add or access the email account of the department that you work for
NOTE: A mailbox is different than a distribution group (DG) which is a collection of recipients logically grouped together and addressed as a single recipient.
- A message addressed to a DG will be delivered to every mailbox of every user in the group.
- A message addressed to a mailbox will be delivered only to that mailbox, to which others may be granted permission to access.
To create a local Contact Group in Outlook by following the instructions at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/create-and-edit-a-contact-group-formerly-distribution-lists-HA010354963.aspx .
To request a distribution group, send a message to DL@byui.edu detailing all the folks you'd like to be included in the group.
To request a mailbox:
- Mailbox Request Form
- Mailbox will be fully-accessible from on and off campus the day after you receive notification that it has been built.
To access an existing mailbox:
- Have your supervisor add you to the appropriate role in Role Manager.
- Wait up to 3 hours for synchronization to take place.
- Restart your computer.
- Choose whether you want to access email via a web browser (Outlook Web Access) or email software (Outlook Client)
|Full-Time Employee||Student Employee|
|Outlook Web Access (OWA)||
|Outlook 2010/2013 Client (Windows)||2nd Account
Type email@example.com on first launch.
|Outlook 2011 Client (Macintosh)||
To send mail from the new mailbox:
- Outlook 2010 Client (Windows)
- Create new message
- Click "From" in the "Show Fields" section of the ribbon bar
- Click the "From" drop-down then click "Other email address..."
- Type the department address then click "OK"
- When trying to move a folder with a 2nd mailbox you may get the error message, "Cannot copy this folder because it may contain private items.".
- This is expected behavior. In order to move folders you need to do it in the 1st mailbox.