Department (Shared) Mailbox: How to add or access the email account of the department that you work for
NOTE: A mailbox is different than a distribution list (DL) which is a collection of recipients logically grouped together and addressed as a single recipient.
To request a mailbox:
- Mailbox Request Form
- Mailbox will be fully-accessible from on and off campus the day after you receive notification that it has been built.
To access an existing mailbox:
- Have your supervisor add you to the appropriate role in Role Manager.
- Restart your computer.
- Choose whether you want to access email via a web browser (Outlook Web Access) or email software (Outlook Client)
|Outlook Web Access (OWA)
- See and click through to all the mailboxes you have access to through Role Manager.
- Use https://owa.byui.edu/owa/ then select "Private Computer" for all day access.
- (Optional) Add as a bookmark/favorite or drag a shortcut to your desktop for quick access.
|Outlook 2010 Client (Windows)
- Send as User
- See Notifications
- See Calendar Reminders
- Add Account
- Type DepartmentAddress@byui.edu
- Can't send as User
- No Notifications
- No Calendar Reminders
- Account Settings
- Account Settings
- More Settings...
- Add Mailbox
|Type firstname.lastname@example.org on first launch.
|Outlook 2011 Client (Macintosh)
- People I am a delegate for:
- Type email@example.com on first launch.
- Type campus username.
- Type campus password.
- This is a read-only setup. OWA must be used to send.
- Calendar sharing is not supported.
To send mail from the new mailbox:
- Outlook 2010 Client (Windows)
- Create new message
- Click "From" in the "Show Fields" section of the ribbon bar
- Click the "From" drop-down then click "Other email address..."
- Type the department address then click "OK"
- When trying to move a folder with a 2nd mailbox you may get the error message, "Cannot copy this folder because it may contain private items.".
- This is expected behavior. In order to move folders you need to do it in the 1st mailbox.