If you are a student or employee of BYU-Idaho, you have access to the Microsoft Office Suite for free. You can either download one copy of Office 2016, or multiple copies to various personal devices of Office 365.
Microsoft Office Download
1. To download your own copy, navigate to the University Store website, hover over Technology, then click Downloads.
- Left Option - OnTheHub
- Click the link to visit the University Store's OnTheHub download page.
- Find the Office download package that is relevant to you.
- If you have a Mac, the Mac package.
- If you have a Windows PC, don't download the Mac package.
- Add the software to your cart, then check out.
- Fill in the required information for the agreement that appears and continue with your order.
- Right Option - Office 365
- This link will take you out to Microsoft's website to obtain the download.
- Click the button near the top-right that says Install Office 2016.
- Open and run the download file.
- Stay connected to the internet for the duration of the installation to ensure that the program loads successfully.
When Microsoft Office is downloaded, you will be given a 25-character alphanumeric code called a product key. This key is used to verify that your copy of the software is legal and legitimate, and authorizes your full use of all its features. If you downloaded Office from OnTheHub, your key will remain legitimate even after graduation or termination. We encourage taking a screenshot of the product key and emailing it to yourself because you might need it for future reference. If your computer crashes, or you get a new hard drive, operating system, or a whole new computer, you will need to input your product key again to reinstall Office. Star or save the email in a separate folder from your inbox so it will always be easily accessible.
Downloading Microsoft Office
1. After saving your product key, click Start Download.
2. Read the offered choice of instructions and make the appropriate selection. If you have never downloaded something from the bookstore before, just select Option 1.
3. Run or open the file, depending on what you chose to do in the previous step.
NOTE: Running the file causes it to begin operating as a background task (aka, a task that is running on your computer but that you do not see running). Opening the file causes it to appear on your screen as a popup window so you can examine the file type, location on your computer, and other information. Opening the file does not cause it to start running.
4. When the Secure Download Manager opens, click Download next to the appropriate bit type for your computer. The download may take some time.
NOTE: If you go to Computer Properties, you should see what type of operating system you have – either 64-bit or 32-bit. If you are in doubt, choose 32-bit since it will work even on a 64-bit.
Installing Microsoft Office
1. When the download process is done, click Launch.
2. Click Yes to allow the installation of Microsoft 2016.
3. Check the box I accept the terms of this agreement and then click Continue.
4. Click Install Now. The installation, like the download, may take some time.
5. You will be notified when the installation is complete. Once you receive this notification, click Close.
6. Open the Start menu and find the Microsoft Office 2016 folder.
7. Expand the Microsoft Office 2016 folder so you can see all available Office programs.
8. Click Microsoft Word. Once Word has opened, you will be prompted to Activate Office, which you can do by a variety of means. Choose Enter a product key.
9. Enter the product key that you were provided earlier.
10. Once Microsoft Word has verified your product key and the next window pops up, select Use Recommended Settings.
11. You will be asked to grant Microsoft Word permission to install the updates for Microsoft Office. Click Yes.
12. Let the updates install. Once they are installed, you have finished installing and updating Microsoft Office.
NOTE: Remember to save your product key for future reference, even if you've already applied it—you may need it in the future.