Have questions about 2FA? Read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below.
Why is 2FA being implemented?
We are adding this security measure to help keep your personal information as safe as possible. Even if someone else knows your username and password, they will not be able to get into your account unless they also have the device that you use to authenticate.
How often will I need to authenticate?
Each authentication lasts for 30 days. That means that unless you’ve recently cleared your history or cache, you’re using a new Internet browser, or you’re using Incognito mode, you will only have to go through the process every 30 days per device/browser you use to access your BYU-Idaho account.
EXAMPLE: If you authenticated from your home computer in Google Chrome, you would be authenticated for your home computer and Google Chrome for 30 days. However, if you tried to access your BYU-Idaho account from the same computer later in the day, but used Safari instead of Google Chrome, you would need to authenticate again. You would then be authenticated for your home computer, for both Google Chrome and Safari, for 30 days.
Let’s say that 15 days later, you cleared your browser history. You would then need to authenticate again, and the 30-day period would restart.
How do I set up 2FA?
NOTE: The instructions below are only for those who wish to use Duo Mobile's push notifications as their authentication method. We recommend push notifications, as they are the easiest and fastest way of authenticating; however, if you do not have a smartphone or do not wish to use push notifications, you can authenticate via a passcode sent through text messaging or a phone call.
1. Sign in to your BYU-Idaho account.
2. Click Add a new device.
3. Click Call Me.
4. You'll receive a phone call from Duo Security. Answer the phone and follow the over-the-phone instructions.
5. After you hang up the phone, you'll be asked what type of device you wish to use to authenticate. Choose Mobile Phone from the list provided.
6. You'll then be taken to a screen where you'll need to enter and confirm a phone number for your account. Enter your phone number in the box provided.
7. Click Continue.
8. You'll be taken to a screen where you'll be asked what type of phone you wish to use - iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, or Other. Select your phone type and click Continue.
9. The next screen will prompt you to install the Duo Mobile app. For more information about installing the Duo Mobile app, please check out our articles about Duo Mobile for iPhone, Duo Mobile for Android, and Duo Mobile for Windows Phone. After you have downloaded and installed the app, click I have Duo Mobile installed.
10. Follow the onscreen instructions to link your account to the Duo Mobile app.
11. Click Back to Login.
You're now set up with 2FA! Click Send me a Push and respond to the notification to complete the authentication process. From now on, you'll only need to click Send me a Push whenever you're asked to authenticate.
What methods are available for me to authenticate with if I don’t have/don’t want to use a mobile phone?
If you do not have a mobile phone or do not wish to authenticate via mobile phone, you can authenticate via a landline telephone.
What if I get an authentication request when I’m not trying to log in to my account?
This means that someone is trying to get into your account. Deny the login request, and immediately change your BYU-Idaho password.