First: Apartment Visits Objective: Create a more intimate setting where you get to know each tenant, see their apartment surroundings, and observe early roommate interactions. Engage students in a discussion and let them set individual apartment goals.
Mode of implementation:
- Invite staff, student employees or volunteers, ward leadership, etc. to participate.
- Organize apartments into manageable numbers for a 20 minute visit per partnership.
- Create a means of sharing of essential information. Can be handed out at check-in or during welcome visits. Make a flyer, packet, magnet or a three-ring binder with information for each apartment with contact information, office hours, emergencies, etc.
- Go and share a spiritual message on any of the following;
- Building Zion in the Apartment
- Read President Clarks, "Building Zion Together" in the Student Living Guidebook
- Ask students to identify the three principles of Zion; Unity of Heart and Mind, Living after a Manner of Righteousness, No Poor Among Them.
- Develop a list of questions as to how students are going to enact these principles within their apartment. (i.e. What can you do to build Unity among roommates?)
- Give them a goal sheet and invite them to hold apartment council and determine how they are going to create such an environment in their apartment.