BYU-Idaho values suggestions and ideas that can improve the university.
Use our Feedback Form to let us know what you think.
Many household products contain acids, phosphates, ammonia, oxalic accid, VOC's, and much more. These toxins can cause dizziness, nausea, allergic reatctions, and eye, skin, and respiratory tract irritation; some can cause cancer.
Look for signal words: POISON/DANGER, WARNING, CAUTION, SENSITIZER (may cause allergies)
Try to use product cleaners that have gotten the designation GRAS: Generally Regarded as Safe. Companies such as "Seventh Generation" make a product line of non-toxic household cleaning products.
***Avoid scented detergents and softeners; fragrances are often toxic. Most major brands offer products that are free of dyes and fragrances. This is a great way to reduce your overall exposure, from the sheets you sleep in, to the clothes you wear. Throw a small muslin bag filled with dried lavender in your dryer for added non-toxic scent. ***
Mold is a common source of allergies, and can contribute to chronic respiratory and sinus infections.
Alkaline All Purpose Cleaner
2 tsps Borax
½ tsp liquid soap or detergent
Enough hot water to fill spray bottle
1 tsp antiseptic essential oilCombined, add water, shake till completely dissolved
Acid Cleaner (hard water buildup)
¼ c. white distilled vinegar
½ tsp liquid detergent
Enough warm water to fill spray bottle
Few drops of essential oil for fragrance
Mix all together in spray bottle