Family & Consumer Science
Step 1: Expectations
Your internship should allow you to learn more about working with or in behalf of infants, children, or adolescents. It should also allow you to use the skills you have learned in your classes within your major (i. e. Child Development).
Your internship will need to be equivalent to 1 credit at 160 hours. A minimum of 10 hours per week; and must work a minimum of 7 weeks in the semester. NOTE: Credits taken for an internship will only cost half as much as a normal course credit
Once enrolled in the course for your internship, you will need to complete the following tasks: Check the course syllabus for tasks that must be complete as part of your internship
Step 2: Find an Internship
Specifying your Internship
Be sure to specify before you begin this process which area of Family & Consumer Science you wish to work in for your internship. Consider the following areas as examples:
- Academic Settings
Find an Internship
Below is a small list of internships available to you. However, this list does not contain all possible internships. Feel free to look for other opportunities that meet the basic requirements mentioned in the "Expectations" section of this site.
|Lofty Steps Preschool | Chandler, AZL||Lisa King (Teacher)
|Del Sol | San Francisco, CA
|Elyse Ruben Custom Couture | Temecula, CA
|Jamie Stephens (Designer)
|Glitz & Glam Boutique | Waterford, CA
|Wade Howard & Associates | El Cajon, CA
Auditing and Business Development
|Kinsco | Longmont, CO
Safety Equipment and Apparel
|Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints | Tucker, GA
|Gordon W. Hunter
|Lost River Drive-In | Arco, ID
Drive-In and Restaurant
|Gayla D. Parkinson
|Homestead Family Restaurant | Blackfoot, ID
|Albertsons | Idaho Falls, ID
|Julie Jordan (Bakery Manager)
|Cheery Groove Crafts, LLC | Idaho Falls, ID
|JoAnn Fabrics and Crafts | Idaho Falls, ID
Fabric and Craft Store
|Chauntellia Louise Durtschi
|Le Ritz Hotel & Suites | Idaho Falls, ID
Hotel and Sales
|Jennifer Bright (Sales Manager)
|Bear River Head Start | Malad, ID
Head Start Center
435.753.0951 ext 124
|University of Idaho Extension | Pocatello, ID
Family Consumer Science
|Albertsons | Rexburg, ID
|Apple Tree Learning Center | Rexburg, ID
Child Learning Center
|Broulims | Rexburg, ID
|Rexburg Children's Museum (non-paid) | Rexburg, ID
|Clothing Outlet ($300 clothing stipend) | Rexburg, ID||Kimberly Stoddard
|Great Harvest Bread Company | Rexburg, ID
|Gringo's | Rexburg, ID
|Millhollow Frozen Yogurt Inc. | Rexburg, ID
|Nature's Nook | Rexburg, ID
Health Foods Store
|Poter's Book and Variety | Rexburg, ID
|Broulims | Rigby, ID
|Karla Soria (Bakery Manager)
|Speedy CPS | Rigby, ID
Copy, Print, Ship business
|Millennials for Marriage | Online
Journey to the Top
Step 3: Internship Approval
Before submitting your internship for approval, ask yourself the following questions to determine if you have chosen an appropriate internship:
- Have you taken a practicum course/lab along with all of the necessary prerequisites? See page 336 in the Home and Family Catalog
- Will the majority of your time in your internship be spent doing things "directly related" to Family & Consumer Science ?
- Will your internship provide you an opportunity to apply skills and knowledge learned from your experience in the Family & Consumer Science program?
- During your internship experience will you receive valuable instruction and guidance from a qualified mentor or supervisor?
- Will your internship offer you the opportunity to complete at least 160 hours, working at least 10 hours a week over the course of at least 7 weeks?
Once you have secured an internship, you need to fill out paperwork to be registered for the internship course. Please follow these instructions. You will NOT be registered or receive credit for your experience until all steps are completed.
- Go to the Internship Approval Webpage
- Click on the career navigator link and log in with your BYU-I username and password, (if you have not yet completed a profile for career navigator, simply follow the steps to do so).
- From the "quick links" bar at the top of the page, hover over profile and click internships from the drop-down options.
- Select "add new experience" if you have never done an internship prior. If you have then select "add new."
- Fill out form with all necessary information. If you do not have all the information on hand you can "save as draft" and continue at a later time. Once your internship has been approved you will be notified by Career Services. If the internship is approved you will then be able to enroll.
- Enroll in HFED 498R. Once you have access to HFED 498R you may begin to complete your internship hours/experience.
The Family & Consumer Science Coordinator is: Cheryl Empey (email@example.com)
For questions on this process, please contact the Academic Discovery Center.
This process can take anywhere from several days to several weeks, depending on the number of applications the Academic Discovery Center is processing. Please be mindful of this as you are making your preparations.
If your internship provider has never worked with BYU-I prior to your experience with them they will need to fill out a master agreement form with the school (speak to coordinator about this).
If you need access to a Word document reader, download Word Viewer.