Before submitting your internship for approval, ask yourself the following questions to determine if you have chosen an appropriate internship:
- Have you taken FAML 445 along with all of the necessary prerequisites? See page 282 in the Home and Family Catalog
- Will the majority of your time in your internship be spent doing things "directly related" to Marriage and Family Studies?
- Will your internship provide you an opportunity to apply skills and knowledge learned from your experience in the Marriage and Family Studies program?
- During your internship experience will you receive valuable instruction and guidance from a qualified mentor or supervisor? (if it has not been approved yet contact the internship coordinator and go through the Master Agreement).
- Will your internship offer you the opportunity to complete at least 160 hours, working at least 10 hours a week over the course of at least 7 weeks?
Once you have secured an internship, you need to fill out paperwork to be registered for the internship course. Please follow these instructions. You will NOT be registered or receive credit for your experience until all steps are completed. If you are aware of other students who have registered this internship before there will be no need for you to talk to the internship coordinator. If the internship has never been done by students in this major than you will need to meet with the internship coordinator.
- Go to the Internship Approval Webpage
- Click on the career navigator link and log in with your BYU-I username and password, (if you have not yet completed a profile for career navigator, simply follow the steps to do so).
- From the "quick links" bar at the top of the page, hover over profile and click internships from the drop-down options.
- Select "add new experience" if you have never done an internship prior. If you have then select "add new."
- Fill out form with all necessary information. If you do not have all the information on hand you can "save as draft" and continue at a later time. Once your internship has been approved you will be notified by Career Services. If the internship is approved you will then be able to enroll.
- Enroll in FAML 498R. Once you have access to FAML 498R you may begin to complete your internship hours/experience.
*For questions on this process, please contact the Academic Advising.**This process can take anywhere from several days to several weeks, depending on the number of applications the Academic Advising is processing. Please be mindful of this as you are making your preparations.***If your internship provider has never worked with BYU-I prior to your experience with them they will need to fill out a master agreement form with the school (speak to coordinator about this). ****If you are in need of a document reader, download Adobe Acrobat Reader or download Word Viewer.