Family & Consumer Science
Family & Consumer Sciences Education (BS)
The Degree of Family and Consumer Sciences Education is a composite major that provides a holistic approach to the study of home and family in preparation to teach. Upon graduation students are secondary education certified to teach FACS in the state of Idaho with an endorsement in Professional Technical education. Students can also work as home economists in business, or continue on to graduate studies to prepare for work as a cooperative extension agent.
Students participate in the BYU-Idaho Family and Consumer Association which highlights FCCLA, service, professional, and social development. A Family and Consumer Education major provides the opportunity to apply professional skills to home, family, church, and community as well as prepare for a career in education, extension, or business.Family and consumer sciences educators (students) will be able to:
- Engage in classroom activities, home experiences, extracurricular activities, and professional association events, simulated laboratory experiences - particularly in foods, child development, management, nutrition, home decor, clothing, and textiles.
- Conduct field trips, obtain guest speakers, and assign individual projects.
- Select and prepare learning aids for classroom use (i.e., textbooks, computer-aided instruction using media, and study guides).
- Ensure that learning activities from professional technical youth organizations are integrated into classroom instruction.
- Prepare lesson plans and teaching activities based on state standards.
- Advise students in academic and career goals.
- Collaborate with teachers, parents, and community
The program teaches courses designed to:
- Teach doctrine, principles, theory, and skills to help maintain and strengthen the home as the most effective institution in society for impacting the well being of the family unit.
- Provide a well balanced education for students focusing on the importance of home and family. Classes include: family relations, money management, clothing construction and apparel, textiles, interior design, child development, foods and nutrition, home and family management, and with a secondary education component.
- Prepare students for careers in secondary education, graduate school, and professions relating to home and family education, children, and families.
- Strengthen students' testimonies in the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Link to Home and Family Catolog 13-14
Link to FCS Major 13-14