Mass Email Policy
Composing an email intended for a mass audience (more than 5-10 users) is prohibited whether from a BYU-I email account or to BYU-I recipients.
Exceptions to this policy, intended only for explicitly authorized senders include the following:
- Daily Update to employees containing general news and information.
- Important emails from the President, Presidents Council, Death, and Time-sensitive schedule changes.
- Emergency emails about weather warning, catastrophes, evacuation notices, and the president.
- Student updates which include, activities, societies, associations, updates and important information.
When sending approved mass emails from your BYU-Idaho account, or to BYU-Idaho recipients (including students, faculty, staff, and alumni), campus procedure strongly encourages that you use the Bcc option.
What is Bcc?
It stands for Blind Carbon Copy, it is the practice of sending an e-mail to multiple recipients without disclosing the complete list of recipients.
Why use Bcc?
- To send a copy of your correspondence to a third party (for example, a colleague) when you do not want to let the recipient know the third party's e-mail address.
- When sending an e-mail to multiple recipients, you can hide their e-mail addresses from each other. This is a sensible anti-spam precaution because it avoids making a long list of e-mail addresses available to all the recipients (which is what happens if you put everyone's address in the To: or CC: fields). For this reason, it often makes sense to use the Bcc: field for mailing lists. Some viruses also harvest e-mail addresses from users' cache folder or address book, and large CC lists may further the propagation of unwanted viruses, giving another reason to use Bcc.
How do I send an email with Bcc?
- When emailing a new email message click on the "Cc..." button
- A new window pops up, at the bottom there is a section to enter the email addresses in the Bcc. (as shown in the image below)
- Enter the email addresses of those whom you wish to show the email without revealing their email address.
- Once you have entered the desired email addresses click "OK"
- write the email and send it.