Frequently Asked Questions

 What are your hours?

Student Health Center:
MWThF: 8am-5pm
Tues: 8am-2pm, 3pm-5pm
We are closed on Tuesday from 2-3pm for Devotional.

MThF: 9am-5pm
Wed: 9:30am-5pm
Tues: 9am-2pm, 3pm-5pm
We are closed on Tuesday from 2-3pm for Devotional.
Hours during Winter and Summer breaks may vary.

 Why do I have to get a TB test?

All missionaries need to have a TB test upon returning from a mission regardless
of where they have served. Also those who have lived in or traveled to a
high-risk country need to have a TB test.
For a list of high-risk countries and more information,
please visit:

 Why can't you do a TB test on Thursday?

TB tests have to be checked 48-72 hours after being administered.
The Student Health Center is only open on Monday-Friday,
so if a TB test were to be administered on Thursday, it couldn'
t be checked within 48-72 hours. For more questions about TB holds,
watch our TB Hold Tutorial

 Who can be seen at the Health Center?

Only students of the university and their dependents can be seen at the Health Center.

 What is your no-show policy?

If you are unable to make your appointment, contact the Health Center immediately.

You will be charged a $10 fine if you do not show up for your appointment or
cancel less than an hour before.

 What vaccines do you have?

We offer the following immunizations:
  • Allergy Shots (Recurring)
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Combination Hepatitis A and B
  • Meningococcal Meningitis
  • MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella)
  • Polio
  • Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis)
  • Typhoid
  • Influenza

For more information, visit:

 How do I pay for my visit to the Health Center?

Any charges you incur at the Student Health Center will be placed on your
student account. You can pay outstanding balances on your student
account at the cashier's office in the Kimball building, or you may
pay the balance online by accessing

 Does The SHC See Patients With Private Insurance?

The Student Health Center: Yes; however, the Student Health Center does
not bill private insurance. For office visits or any services provided during office visits.

The Pharmacy: The Student Health Center Pharmacy is able to directly bill
most private insurance plans (hundreds of national plans) for prescriptions.

These include Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Tricare (military), Medco, Deseret Mutual, Aetna, Caremark, CVS, Cigna, Express Scripts, Medimpact, and many others. Bring in your pharmacy insurance card and we'll be glad to run it for you. If you do not have your card here at school, your parents can fax us a copy of their pharmacy card and we can run it for you. Also, even if you have already picked up your prescription, you can bring in your pharmacy insurance card to be run as long as it is less than one month from the time you picked up your prescription.

 What is "Co-pay" and how much is it?

  • A Co-payment, or "Co-pay", is a fixed dollar amount (for example $20 or $30) you
    pay for specified covered services such as a doctor office visit.
  • If you have Student Health Plan, the Co-payment for a visit at the Student Health Center is $10

For more information, please visit:

 How do I get my Health Plan card?

If you have the Student Health Plan, then you should receive your
health plan card in the mail. However, this is mailed to the address
on record when you register. This means your card could be
mailed to your parent's house.

 How do I find my Health Plan Policy Number?

If you have your Health Plan Card:
  • Policy number should be displayed and marked appropriately.
No Health Plan Card:
  • You will need to contact Deseret Mutual for access to your policy number.

 How does my health plan work if I am out of state?

  • If you are out of state, you are covered by the Away From Campus health plan option.
  • From the Student Health Plan Handbook:
"If you are away from Rexburg, you may receive your medical care from
any qualified, appropriately licensed medical provider. However, it
will be to your advantage to use providers who are part of Deseret
Mutual's national Preferred Provider Network whenever possible."
(Page 4)"You must still preauthorize any care you receive outside of
the SHC, other than emergency and well-baby care."
(Page 4)For information about providers in your area, please
call the appropriate telephone number. Be sure to identify yourself
as a participant in a Deseret Mutual plan. Hawaii: MDX (formerly Queen's
Health Care Plan Network) 1-808-293-3970

Idaho and Utah: Deseret Mutual Contracted Providers
1-800-777-3622 or (click on "Find a Provider")

All other states: First Health Medical Network
1-800-226-5116 or (Page 19)

For more information, please refer to:
Student Health Plan Handbook

 How Do I Locate The BYU-Idaho Health Plan Manual Online?

Visit and
select the Student Health Plan handbook that correlates
with the current year.