The American Epidemic: Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease
Cardiovascular disease and Diabetes are leading causes of death and morbidity in the U.S. Both of these diseases are highly correlated with lifestyle choices. In this course students will study the physiologic mechanisms associated with these diseases as well as how lifestyle choices influence the diseases. Students will be expected to develop and implement personal programs to facilitate life-long health and wellness.
- Students will assess their personal cardiovascular fitness level.
- Students will understand what wellness means and explore ways to improve overall wellness.
- Students will understand what good nutrition is and analyze their current nutritional intake.
- Students will study the basic foundations of chemistry, cell biology and physiology to understand the causes, manifestations and complications of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Students will understand the risk factors for developing the conditions discussed in this course.