Latin American Focus: Chile and Cuba
Although they share many features, Chile and Cuba present economic, linguistic, and political differences as stark as the geographic and demographic contrasts between the two countries. In this course, students will compare and contrast while considering these countries’ roles in the larger context of Latin America.
- Students will learn and recall basic data (capitals, presidents) on Latin America.
- Students will articulate and reflect on their views of the contrasting countries.
- Students will learn to see other countries through purposeful contrast.
- Students will identify ideological bias in the reading materials that they use.
- Students will present and defend their positions in writing, orally, and visually.
- Students will reflect on their skills as learners in pre/post fashion.