Writing and Reasoning Foundations
An introduction to academic inquiry and writing, laying the foundation for further academic and professional development. Students will learn to think and read critically and practice the writing process, including invention, research, summary, synthesis and analysis, revision, and editing. Students will work on several major writing assignments, including a research project in which they will gather information from a range of valid sources, demonstrating they can analyze and use that information purposefully, following appropriate documentation.
- Students will know the importance of critical thinking, reading, and writing; the writing situation; and documentation of sources.
- Students will know the importance of the writing process.
- Students will know the terms and definition that apply to writing.
- Students will know the qualities of good writing.
- Students will gain an appreciation for clear, reasoned, audience-appropriate writing and thinking.
- Students will gain confidence in the face of future writing opportunities.