Light and Sound
This course covers the physical characteristics of light and sound, the biological nature of the eyes and ears, and the sensation of vision and hearing through our brain's perceptual abilities. Students will evaluate the influence of music, movies, advertising, and video games on the human mind and behavior.
Content and Topics
- Light: The physics of light, the human vision system, perception of vision.
- Sound: The physics of sound, the human sound sensory system, perception of sound.
- The influence of Light and Sound: Art and music, movies and media, video games and toys, advertising.
Goals and Objectives
Successful students will gain the following understanding:
- How persuaders use rational and emotional messages through Light and Sound in political, ideological, and commercial messages.
- The physical nature of light and sound.
- How the body and mind detect and interpret light and sound.
- How the mind's perception of our senses of light and sound can be fooled.
Successful student will become:
- Better citizens and more savvy consumers.
- More aware and fell greater appreciation of the beauty and complexity of the world around them, and become more curious about it.
- More confident in using the process of science to understand their world.
- More confident in their testimonies of the restored gospel.
Successful students will be able to:
- Recognize and account for the influence of advertising when making decisions.
- Analyze a news report and its use of light and sound to persuade and manipulate.
- Make informed choices about the entertainment they and their families consume.
- Apply scientific thinking methods in work place and home.
Assigned readings, participation in class, homework, out-of-class experiences, exams and a writing assignment.
- Completion of FDSCI101 with a D- or higher
- Completion of FDENG101 with a D- or higher
- Completion of FDMAT108 with a D- or higher
Winter Spring Fall