This course centers on "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" and develops gospel doctrines and principles pertaining to a successful and happy marriage and family life. Practical skills required to achieve and sustain provident living will also be explored and practiced.
Content & Topics
Unit 1: The Creator's Plan -- marriage and family are divinely ordained and have eternal destiny.
Unit 2: Gender -- an essential characteristic of our divine nature and destiny.
Unit 3: Sacred Ordinances and Covenants -- establishing eternal family relationships.
Unit 4: Sacred Powers of Procreation -- God's first commandment and the Law of Chastity.
Unit 5: Solemn Duties of Husbands and Wives -- accountable before God for each other and children.
Unit 6: Achieving Happiness in Family Life -- children are entitled to receive strengthening bonds.
Goals and Objectives
- Students will learn doctrines and principles taught within The Family: A Proclamation to the World, such as: the eternal nature of marriage and family; the doctrine of gender; the divine roles of men and women; the laws governing chastity and physical intimacy in marriage; and principles governing happiness in family life.
- Students will demonstrate understanding and apply the doctrines and principles taught by The Family: A Proclamation to the World.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to teach and share with others across a range of topics associated with the doctrines and principles found in The Family: A Proclamation to the World.
- Students will show the ability to problem-solve challenges that result from violations of doctrines and principles found in The Family: A Proclamation to the World.
Attendance, creation of a course binder, and unit tests are all required elements of the Family Foundations course in every section. Additionally, the Family Foundations faculty gives preparation and group assignments, but each determines his/her own combination of written assignments, projects, and case studies.
- Completion of a minimum of 24 credits
Winter, Spring, Fall