BYU-Idaho values suggestions and ideas that can improve the university.
Use our Feedback Form to let us know what you think.
The goal of Foundations English 201 is to help students learn how to reason carefully and express ideasclearly. The required assignments focus on argument and persuasion-specifically on analyzing, synthesizing, and formulating arguments. Assignments will be formatted according to APA style.
Desired Learning Outcomes
• Reading and pondering texts to arrive at a new understanding
• Demonstrating principles of effective writing-rhetorical stance, focus, development, coherence,language
• Identifying the conversation to which an argument contributes
• Making connections between related texts
• Summarizing texts accurately
• Discussing the rhetorical features that contribute to an argument's effectiveness
• Conducting appropriate, major-specific library research
• Providing adequate background information in the presentation of arguments
• Supporting claims with solid reasons based on evidence
• Distinguishing between original ideas and those of other authors through proper source citation