Revised: September 18, 2008
The One Card gives the cardholder advanced authority for official University purchases. It is to be used for travel expenses of tour groups as well as by selected individuals when higher limits are required than those allowed by the Purchasing Card.
Select full-time and part-time (non-student) employees are eligible to apply for a card as deemed necessary by their supervisor. When a card is issued, the cardholder is responsible for the following:
- Security and proper use of the card
- Reviewing the monthly statements for accuracy - including while away from the University for extended periods of time
- Forwarding statements and attached support to his/her supervisor for review
- Forwarding the reviewed statements an attached support to the Accounting Office by the 15th of the month following the statement date
- Application forms for a new One Card are obtained from the Financial Services secretary in 290 Kimball (ext. 1901). Each form requires the signature of the proposed cardholder, the cardholder's vice president (for academic tours, the Associate Academic Vice President for Curriculum), and the Director of Financial Services.
- When the card is received by Financial Services from the issuer, the card applicant will be notified that it can be picked up at Financial Services.
- Once the employee has received his/her card, it should be used in place of other payment methods on sponsored tours or by select individuals when on official University business. Misuse of the card may result in disciplinary action or termination from employment.
- the dollar limits for individual purchases and monthly spending will vary per card as needs dictate.
- The card must not be used to make personal purchases.
- The card cannot be used for any services performed by an individual, partnership, or sole proprietorship which may be reported to the IRS (e.g., entertainment, royalties, honorariums, stipends, consultations, applied music lessons, contract services, moving expenses, etc.). Use a Check Request for these items.
- Each cardholder should obtain a receipt or other documentation for each charge to be attached to the monthly statement when received. If the card is used over the phone or by mail where no receipt is available, other documentation and an explanation of the charge should be attached to the monthly statement when it is received. The business purpose of the purchases should be written on each receipt by the cardholder.
- The balance due on all One Cards is paid each month by the University with the detail of all transactions provided electronically to the Accounting Office at BYU-Idaho. In addition, the card company mails a statement each month to each cardholder. Transaction history and credit card statements are also available online. For information on how to gain this online access, contact the Financial Services secretary in 290 Kimball (ext. 1901).
- Each cardholder must verify the validity of all purchases on his monthly statement, attach supporting receipts or documents, sign the statement, obtain the supervisor's review and signature, and submit the statement with receipts attached to the Accounting Office on or before the 15th of the month. Repeated failure to meet this deadline may result in the cancellation of the One Card. It is suggested that a copy of the statement be made and retained in the file of the cardholder or account custodian.
- The cardholder's supervisor has primary responsibility for reviewing the cardholder's use of the One Card to ensure purchases are appropriate and applicable procedures are followed. The supervisor's signature on the cardholder's statement is an indication that the review has been performed.
- Charges for a particular month will not be recorded in the General Ledger accounts until the following month when payment and processing have been completed. If a charge needs to be allocated to a different General Ledger account, the Accounting Office can make a journal entry upon request.
- The Accounting Office will ensure that all properly signed and approved statements are received from cardholders. If the deadline for turning in the statements (15th of the month) is missed, both the cardholder and supervisor will be notified. If a statement is not received in the Accounting Office by the 25th of the month, the card may be cancelled. If a card is cancelled, the Accounting Office will review all charges for 75 days prior to cancellation and all charges afterwards. The Accounting Office will also select several transactions each month for review to ensure proper policies and procedures are followed and that purchases appear appropriate.
- If a charge on the monthly statement is disputed by the cardholder (either a wrong amount or unknown charge), the cardholder is responsible to resolve this dispute as he would with any dispute on his own personal account.
- If the amount is wrong, the cardholder should call the vendor and ask for clarification or a correction of the error.
- If there is an unknown charge, the phone number on the statement or the back of the card should be called and any instructions received should be followed.
- A notation should be made on the statement by the cardholder for any disputed charge before sending it to his supervisor for approval. The disputed charge will still be made to the custodian's General Ledger account. However, the next statement should have a credit or adjustment which will then be posted to the General Ledger account. The cardholder should watch for any anticipated adjustment and follow through if such adjustment does not appear on the next statement. If further assistance is needed, contact the Financial Services secretary at extension 1901.
- If the card is lost or stolen, the cardholder should immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 (inside the US/Canada) or 1-410-581-9994 (outside the US). The Financial Services secretary (ext. 1901) should also be notified as soon as possible.
- If the card was used for a tour, after the tour is complete, Financial Services will decrease the limit on the card to a minimal amount to keep the card open but prevent the card from being used until required for another tour.
- For questions regarding the monthly statement, processing deadline, etc., the cardholder should call the Accounting Office (ext. 1995).