General Questions

What is Form 1098-T?

Colleges and Universities are required by U.S. law each year to provide each student who is a "US person" for tax purposes with Form 1098-T, to assist the students and their families in computing any tax credit or deduction they may be able to claim, based on amounts they have spent for education.

Students from outside the United States should review the Foreign Students Section of this page for important information. Most foreign students do not need Form 1098-T for any purpose.

Will I Receive Form 1098-T?

Every BYU-Idaho student whose student account had financial transactions post to it during the calendar year will have online access to their Form 1098-T or receive it in paper form in January. You may receive Form 1098-T even if you did not attend class during the calendar year. Receiving Form 1098-T does not necessarily indicate that you are entitled to claim any of the education-related tax credits or deductions.

What should I do with my Form 1098-T?

You should immediately give it to whoever is responsible for preparing your tax returns. If you prepare your own tax returns, you should keep your Form 1098-T in a file with your other tax documents. Form 1098-T should remain in your files; you do not need to attach Form 1098-T to your tax returns.

How can I get a copy of my Form 1098-T?

Prior year's forms beginning in 2010 are available online here.

Where can I go for help in understanding my Form 1098-T?

First, please review the FAQs on this page, because they will answer many typical questions. For general information on Form 1098-T and the related tax credits and deductions, you may also want to review the information available from IRS in Publication 970 (Tax Benefits for Education) or elsewhere on the IRS web site. BYU-Idaho staff are unable to provide any individual tax advice.

If you have questions about the specific transactions reported for your own student account at BYU-Idaho, please contact us by email at or by phone at 496-1900.

Will my parents receive a copy of Form 1098-T?

No. We make Form 1098-T available only to the student. The student is responsible for making his or her own Form 1098-T available to parents, tax preparers or other persons.

Will BYU-Idaho send a copy of my Form 1098-T to the federal government or the State of Idaho?

Like all colleges and universities, BYU-Idaho is required to submit the data from your Form 1098-T to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The State of Idaho does not require us to report Form 1098-T data to them.

I clicked on the link to get my 1098-T but my information didn't come up.

There are three possibilities:

#1 - You didn't attend school that year.

#2 - You are an International student and need to request the 1098-T directly from the Bursar's office. Please contact us by email at or by phone at 496-1900.

#3 - You are a US Citizen but your name and Social Security number combination doesn't match what's on record with the Social Security administration. In this case you will need to fill out a W9S. The W9S form can be found here.

Account-Related Questions

Why is box 1 blank?

Box 1 is blank for all BYU-Idaho students. Schools are directed by the IRS to choose a method of reporting, either by reporting the payments received for qualified tuition in box 1 or by reporting the amounts billed for qualified tuition in box 2. BYU-Idaho, like most universities, has chosen the latter method.

Why does BYU-Idaho report on a calendar year?

We are required by the IRS to report on a calendar year basis which is January 1 to December 31. We can only report amounts to the IRS that posted to your student account between those dates.

I attended BYU-Idaho Winter 2012, but some or all of those amounts are missing from my Form 1098-T. Why?

Form 1098-T reports only those transactions that posted to your student account during the calendar year. A student is billed for fees on the date he or she enrolls in the class. Winter semester begins in January, but most students register for Winter semester during the previous November or December. Any charges that were billed to your account before January 1 were reported in the prior year's 1098-T form.

I am attending BYU-Idaho Winter 2013, but some or all of those amounts are missing from my Form 1098-T. Why?

Form 1098-T reports only those transactions that posted to your student account during the calendar year. Winter semester begins in January; if you registered, dropped or added classes after December 31, 2012, those amounts will be reported on your 2013 Form 1098-T, which will be available in January 2014.

How do I get details on what is included in each Box on my 1098-T form?

To get the detail included in any box on the 1098-T please email the bursar at

Does my Form 1098-T tell me everything I need to know for tax purposes?

Probably not. Your Form 1098-T reports all transactions that flowed through your student account during the calendar year. However, students typically incur other expenses that may also qualify for tax credits or deductions. The most common example is textbooks. For further information on "qualified" education expenses, please review IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education. You may wish to consult with a tax professional.

Are Parent PLUS loans or other loans reported on my Form 1098-T?

No. Loans by the student or parent are not reported on the Form 1098-T.

Online 1098-T Access

How do I get online 1098-T access?

It's easy. Click here. It's just a few mouse clicks! You now have access to your 1098T documents 24x7!

If I signed up for Online 1098-T access, will I need to do so again this year?

No. Once you have signed up, your election stays in effect for the remainder of your time at BYU-Idaho.

When will my Form 1098-T be available?

Forms 1098-T are available in late January for the prior calendar year.

Do I need any additional software to view my Form 1098-T?

You will only need the free Adobe Reader.

Will I still get a paper Form 1098-T?

With Online 1098-T Access, you can print your own tax form whenever you need. Students who have not signed up for online access by mid-January will receive a paper copy of their form in the mail. That form will be mailed to the student's mailing address on record around the last week in January. BYU-Idaho will not supply any additional paper copies of Form 1098-T. To obtain a duplicate, you can download it by clicking here.

If I lose my paper Form 1098-T, how can I get a duplicate copy?

Duplicate copies of your Form 1098-T are only available by clicking here.

International Students

Do I need a Form 1098-T?

Probably not. However, that depends on whether you are a "US person" or a nonresident alien for US tax purposes. We make the form available to all US persons as required by law. Nonresident aliens, however, are generally not eligible to claim any of the education-related tax credits or deductions for which Form 1098-T is intended to serve as documentation. If you file your tax return on Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, you are not eligible to claim those tax benefits.

How do I know whether I am a US person or a nonresident alien for tax purposes.

You are a "US person" if you are: a US citizen, or a Lawful Permanent Resident ("green card" holder), or a resident alien for tax purposes, by virtue of passing the Substantial Presence Test for the year. Otherwise, you are a nonresident alien (also known as a "foreign person") for tax purposes. For further information, please review IRS Publication 519 (US Tax Guide for Aliens). For most F-1 and J-1 students, this means if you arrived in the US during or after the year 2006, you are a nonresident alien for tax purposes and you will not need a Form 1098-T. For most J-1 researchers, this means if you arrived in the US during or after the year 2009, you are a nonresident alien for tax purposes and you will not need a Form 1098-T.

I am a nonresident alien for tax purposes. Is there a different tax form I should receive?

Maybe. Some, but not all, foreign students will receive Form 1042-S (Foreign Person's US Source Income Subject to Withholding). The two largest groups of foreign visitors who receive Form 1042-S include [1] students who received scholarships or fellowships in excess of their qualified tuition for at least one academic term, and [2] BYU-Idaho employees who received tax treaty benefits in their paychecks during the year. All BYU-Idaho employees will also receive Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, mailed to their home address in January.

Can I still receive Form 1098-T even if I am a nonresident alien?

Yes, you may. To request it, you must email us at each year; your form will then be available on within 24-48 hours. Or contact the Bursar's office at (1-208-496-1900). Please be advised that your receipt of Form 1098-T does not indicate that you are a US person for tax purposes, or that you are entitled to any education-related tax benefits.

IRS Link

Why Form 1098-T is Important To You

For any other questions, email