Other Resources

Financial Aid Guide

All students (regardless of their VA eligibility) should follow the Financial Aid Guide starting with Step 1 - Planning. Completing the Financial Aid Guide will consider a student for all types of financial assistance (i.e. Outside Aid, University Aid, and Federal Aid):

Seal of the U.S. Department of Defense

Overview of Tution Assistance

Armed Forces Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members.

Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process, and restrictions. Funds are usually paid directly to the institution by the military service branch. TA is not a loan; it should be viewed as money a student have earned just like base pay.

VA Benefits (i.e. GI Bill, Tuition Assistance, etc.) is not affiliated or controlled by BYU-Idaho.

Disbursement of Tution Assistance at BYU-Idaho

After the unit and service processes the Tuition Assistance (TA), the funds will be sent to the BYU-Idaho Bursar's Office. The funds will be released to the student's Personal Account Summary. Students may direct questions to Julie Howe at the Bursar's Office.

Overview of CHAMPVA

The Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) is a comprehensive health care program in which the VA shares the cost of covered health care services and supplies with eligible beneficiaries.

Due to the similarity between CHAMPVA and the Department of Defense (DoD) TRICARE program (sometimes referred to by its old name, CHAMPUS) the two are often mistaken for each other. CHAMPVA is a Department of Veterans Affairs program whereas TRICARE is a regionally managed health care program for active duty and retired members of the uniformed services, their families, and survivors. In some cases a veterans may look to be eligible for both/either program on paper. However, if you are a military retiree, or the spouse of a veteran who was killed in action, you are and will always be a TRICARE beneficiary, you can´t choose between the two.

Eligibility and application

For more details of CHAMPVA can be found at the CHAMPVA site. Students may be required to submit Enrollment Verification. Students may contact the Student Records Office concerning inquiries about Enrollment Verification.