Live Chat!

What are the steps to receiving Federal Aid?
  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at
  2. Check your document tracking within 4-5 business days to see if we have received your FAFSA information.
  3. Continue checking your document tracking regularly to see if you are required to submit additional documents to our office.
  4. Your award information should be available on your Financial Aid Awards page within 2 weeks from the time you submitted your last complete document.
Avoid common FAFSA errors:
  • Blank fields: Leaving fields blank can cause miscalculations. All fields should be filled out instead with a 0 or “not applicable”.
  • Decimals or commas: Please round amounts to the nearest dollar.
  • The wrong Social Security Number: You must use the correct Social Security Number or driver's license number. Don't make up identification numbers.
  • Incorrect name: The name used on the FAFSA must match the name on your Social Security card.
  • Incorrect address: Temporary addresses should not be used on the application. Please use only a permanent address.
  • Income tax amount: The correct amount that you paid is on your income tax return, not your W-2 form.
  • Report children: Children that will be born during the year of the award need to be reported as a member of the household if more than half of the child's support will be paid by you.
  • The Federal School Code: Our federal school code is 001625.
  • Sign and date: Your PIN is the electronic signature. You (and your parent, if needed) can obtain a pin at Be sure to sign and submit the FAFSA upon completion.

FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid which can be found at The FAFSA determines your eligibility for federal student aid. The FAFSA must be filled out every academic year to qualify for you to qualify for federal aid.

The BYU-Idaho Financial Aid Office is required by federal regulations to verify a portion of the FAFSAs we receive. Students who are selected for verification are required to submit supporting documentation to our office before we can process their applications.

After you submit your FAFSA, you will need to check your document tracking page (under the Finance tab on your student account). This page will show you missing and received documents.

If you are selected for Verification, check out the document tracking link on your student finances tab and submit the documents listed as ‘awaiting’. These documents will need to be submitted before we can determine your financial aid award.

Direct Loans are fixed-rate student loans for undergraduate students attending college at least half-time (six credits or more). Students are considered for these loans through the FAFSA.

Direct Subsidized Loan: The federal government pays the interest on a subsidized loan while the student is enrolled in school with at least six credits. Current interest rates can be found here. Principle and interest payments are postponed while students are enrolled in at least six credits. Students also have a six month grace period after they stop being enrolled in at least six credits where payments are still postponed, but interest begins accruing.

Direct Unsubsidized Loan: The student is responsible for the interest that accrues on an unsubsidized loan while they are in school. Current interest rates can be found here. Payments are postponed while students are enrolled in at least six credits and during the six month grace period that follows.

Plus Loan: A Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is a federal guaranteed loan and is available to a parent of a dependent undergraduate student. The parent may borrow up to the student's annual cost of attendance minus any financial assistance the student has been (or will be) awarded during the period of enrollment. Interest begins to accrue once the first portion of the loan is available to the student and repayment begins within 60 days after the loan has been fully disbursed. Current interest rates can be found here. Students and Parents will need to re-apply every academic year for the loan, as needed.

Click here for more information

Students with loans are not required to start repayment until six months after dropping below six credits. This is called a “grace period”. If you defer a semester and are below six credits for more than six months, repayment will begin and your grace period will have been spent.

If you submitted a FAFSA and were not selected for verification, you will usually be awarded within 8 weeks.

If you submitted a FAFSA and were selected for verification, you will usually be awarded 8 weeks from the time you submitted your last complete verification document.

Financial aid awards (scholarships, grants and/or loans) are disbursed within the first week of the semester if the student has submitted a FAFSA and requested documents by the priority deadline. Occasionally, some financial aid awards are disbursed earlier or later than others; however, there is no guaranteed date of disbursement.

Financial aid funds are released to your Personal Account. You can find your Personal Account Summary by logging into your student account, selecting the finances tab, and clicking on the Personal Account Summary link. Any funds released to your account will show under the heading “Available and Disbursed Financial Aid/Scholarships”. If funds have been released, account names and balances will show under this heading. Amounts listed in red are owed; amounts listed in green are available to you.

Financial aid funds are intended to be used for education costs. Your financial aid will be used first to cover your tuition costs and any tuition (class) based fees. Remaining financial aid funds can then be used to pay off any outstanding school balances, books, school supplies, and any other educational expenses (i.e. housing, gas, food, etc.)

Please note, certain financial aid awards, (such as some private scholarships), have requirements limiting funds to tuition costs only.

A tax return transcript is the IRS record of the taxes filed by you or your parents. We can no longer accept a copy of your tax return in place of the tax return transcript. This transcript must be requested directly from the IRS and can be printed from their website or mailed to you. Learn more at the IRS website here.